~Chapter 4~

"Again, I'm really sorry," You apologized to your two maids as they attempted to replicate the hairdo you had before. They smiled to themselves in the mirror, and Ainsley shook her head.

"No need to apologize," She responded in her accent, smoothing your hair and holding it in it's place. Libby, your other maid, stuck a few pins in to kelp your hair up. "It was a bit fun watching you feud it out."

"This won't affect the way he treats you guys, will it?" You questioned worriedly, widening your eyes and nearly twisting around. Libby's gentle hand on your shoulders held you still, and you resorted to watching her through the mirror.

"No, of course not!" She assured as a smile tugged at her lips. "The Prince isn't nearly as bad as you think he is."

"'As bad as you think he is.' He's not bad at all!" Ainsley chortled, stepping back to admire your hair. "I've no idea how you got that idea."

"Well," You started, finally able to turn around. A knock on the door interrupted your story, and both maids straightened their dresses before scurrying to the door. You saw the disappointment on their face, though. No doubt they'd be hounding you all throughout this endeavor.

"Mr. Muyskens," They greeted simultaneously. As they curtsied, you caught a glimpse of a man with glasses, dressed in a sharp suit and smiling at the maids. You got up cautiously.

"Hello," You started, giving him a half-hearted curtsy. "Mister, uh, Muyskerm?"

Instead of getting angry, he laughed good naturedly. "Muyskens, my lady, and it is I who should be bowing to you," He explained.

"Technically, I curtsied, but I'll take it," You shrugged and grinned. "Um, do I know you...?"

"Oh! Excuse me. I'm the castle steward, here to take you where you need to be, when you need to be there. And, if I'm not mistaken, you're needed in the dining hall." As if on cue, your stomach started rumbling. You pressed a hand to your stomach and smiled sheepishly.

"If it's no trouble, could I be escorted?" You questioned. "I'm not really familiar with the palace quite yet."

"Of course," He offered you his arm, and you took hold of it gently. Waving goodbye to your maids, you waited for Mr. Muyskens to close the door, and saw the other girls being led out of their rooms as well. There were two tall men, one with black hair, the other with brown, each of them escorting a twin. You watched as they shared a help me glance over their blonde heads and nearly giggled. Mr. Muyskens offered his arm again and led you down the hall.

"So, Mr. Muyskens," You started, admiring the ornate paintings on the wall.

"If it suits you, Bob is alright, my lady," He suggested. You smiled. Everyone here was so nice! How could the Prince be so...not nice?

"Okay, Bob, let me ask you a question."

"Ask away."

"You look no older than the Prince. How'd you land a job as the castle steward?"

"Well," He began, using a gloved hand to push his glasses up. "I could bore you with all the deatails, but the cut and dry story is my family and the royal family go back. Way back."

"So you have this job because you're friends with the Prince?" You asked, slightly hoping that you'd have at least one piece if solid evidence to hold against the Prince.

"No. I was just considered because we're friends. I was chosen because I was capable."

You ducked your head. "I wasn't trying to make it seem like you were incapable."