Ninth

Last December

She dragged her feet up the last flight of stairs before reaching her floor. She let out a sigh of relief once she reached the top. She continues to walk towards her apartment, mindlessly searching through her keys for her home key. Once she reaches her door, a slight panic begins to settle in as she realizes her door wasn't completely closed.

She digs out her phone from her pocket and hesitates before pushing the door open. Clutching on her phone for dear life, she takes a step into the dark apartment. Her first instinct is to flip the switch to turn the lights on, but when she flips the switch, nothing happens.

"Elena?" She hears a man's voice.

Immediately she grabs her phone and begins to dial 9-1-1.

"I'm calling the cops!" She warns.

"Wait no! Baby, it's me." He says grunting as he collides with an end table.

"Dean?" She questions, squinting in the darkness to get a better view.

"You got someone else callin' you baby?" He responds, his voice getting closer to her.

She flips her phones flashlight on and aims it directly at him. Being only a few feet away from her, the brightness of the light caused him to squint.

"What are you doing here? And why isn't my electricity working?" She asks.

He shoves his hands in his pockets and stares at the ground as he begins to speak. "I... kind of hijacked your extra pair of keys."

"Okay, but why?"

"Well..." He steps closer to her. "I sort of had a surprise for you."

He takes the phone from her hand, and then grabs her hand with his free one. With the small light he's able to navigate the both of them safely through the darkness to the further end of her apartment. Upon reaching it, he hands her phone back.

"Take a look for yourself." He says proudly.

Taking the phone from him, she then aims the light directly in front of her. To her surprise, she finds a green object right before her. Upon closer inspection, she then realizes it was a Christmas tree. She moves the light from top to bottom, as she views the different ornaments he'd decorated the tree with.

"You did this all on your own?" She questions.

Dean's hand flies to the back of his neck. "Yeah," He admits. "I think I connected the lights wrong or something. When I plugged it into that socket, the electricity in the whole apartment blew out." He chuckles.

She lets out a soft giggle. "It's nothing with your lights. That outlet doesn't work right. That's why I never bothered putting anything electrical in that corner."

"Oh... I'm sorry."

"No, no. Dean, don't be," She turns to him now. "This is absolutely amazing, and... Thank you." She says, as she snakes her arms around his neck and pulls him down for a kiss.

"Mmm, I should do more surprises if I get thanked like this." He says against her lips.

"And that's not all of it," She teases between kisses. She then turns the flash light off, as the two sink deeper into their embrace.

-

Present

"Well, this is awkward." Dean says, breaking Elena's train of thought.