Chapter 1

n// Hello! This is my first Originals story so please go easy on me lol. Comments and votes are greatly appreciated, and I hope you enjoy!

It was the eve of Thora's eighteenth birthday when she met Niklaus, which made it the best, worst, and last night of her natural life. You see, Thora had a plan. She was going to run away from the dangers her future held, for her father was going to marry her off to a stranger - a much older man in which she had never even met. So Thora concocted up a scheme, one that would last for almost a year, convincing everyone around her that she couldn't wait to marry the famed hunter of the village over. She listened to all of the tales, let her parents pay their dowry, even let her darling sister make her a dress for the ritual. But as soon as night had fallen, she gathered her most valued possessions and headed north, leaving everything she knew and loathed behind.

Meanwhile, Niklaus was on the hunt. He had heard of the villages surrounding the perimeter of where he and his siblings inhabited for rest, and needed to take his mind off of the impending doom that he would face if Mikael ever found them. In their family, there was no such thing as comfort or peace. Not as long as there was the original vampire hunter still running around trying to kill them. So, he figured, what was a few deaths to add to the list? He was truly parched, the thirst for blood never ending. Thus he also went north.

Thora had made it around halfway through the forest when she heard a sickeningly sweet chuckle behind her.

"And what might a lovely lady such as yourself be doing out here in this time of nightfall, hmmm?" The man asked, making her heart rate spike suddenly.

Thora whipped around and saw the handsome face of a stranger sending a smirk her way. Like he knew something she didn't. And he did. The fact that she would be dead within the hour.

"I-I," she sputtered out, before clearing her throat and regaining her confidence. "I am running away."

Klaus grinned even wider at the defiance in her tone, always one for a quick hunt. He knew she wouldn't go down without a fight, and that just made her look even more delectable.

"And why is a fair maiden like yourself running away?"

"Because... because I just am." She stated, deciding not to spill her guts to a random man in the middle of the forest.

Oh, but he wasn't just some random man passing by, he was the nightmares she had as a little girl. He was the creature in the night that her doting mother warned her about. He lurked in the broad daylight, going unnoticed by all who saw him, but with intentions that were nothing shy of evil. He had the lion's bravery and the cunning of the fox. He was the devil in an angel's body - the most dangerous of all. And of course, she had no idea.

"Well that's not a proper answer, love."

"And my business is none of yours," She huffed, still looking the man in the eyes. "And even if I am all alone out here, you are too."

"I suppose we are alone together then."

"You can't be alone when you are in the presence of another."

"Quite the contrary, love. One could be set in the middle of the biggest of gatherings and still be alone. Very alone."

"Well then I feel pity on such who feel that way," Thora said quietly. "Goodnight."

            Niklaus stared at her for a moment as she walked off into the cold night, leaving a strange feeling within him. He had long forgotten his original plan, and he was beginning to reconsider making her hid supper for the night.

"Where are you heading off too?" He suddenly called after her.

"Nowhere and everywhere all at once." She decided. "Anywhere where my father can't find me."