Chapter 6: Next Time, Let it Ring

"You're literally insane," Oliver announced when I'd informed him of my actions yesterday. "Seriously, you're just as crazy as her."

"What were you thinking?" Sidney asked.

"Hopefully this breaks them up," Camilla remarked, gaining the attention of the rest of us.

"What?" Oliver asked her.

"Well, I don't see the harm in it," she said. "It'd be a totally different story if Victoria was nice and treated Axel right, but then again, Axel and Lex would still be friends if Victoria treated him right. Maybe he'll see how bad Victoria really is and decide to cut ties with her."

"But...but," Oliver trailed before sighing. "Yeah, maybe you're right. But you stooped down to her level, Lex."

"Oh, well," Camilla shrugged. "If that's what it takes to help Axel realize what is being done to him then so be it."

The bell suddenly rang and I made my way to class with Oliver at my side. "For a girl who made Victoria look like an idiot, you don't look very happy."

I just shrugged. That conversation made me feel horrible. Though Cam had a good point, I feel as if Oliver was right. I could've gone about it a different way, in fact I should've. Even if Axel wouldn't have listened to me I could've at least tried talking to him. I've just taken one step forward and two steps back. "I feel guilty for lying. And Victoria is probably going to be clingier than ever."

"Why do you say that?" Oliver inquired.

"She's probably going to delete my contact from Axel's phone, never let him come to my house ever again, make him change his schedule..." I trailed as we reached the classroom.

Axel was sitting in his assigned seat beside me and Oliver motioned towards him. "You're underestimating him."

I rolled my eyes at Oliver before walking towards my seat beside Axel, sitting down awkwardly. I reached into my bag to grab my textbook, listening as Axel tapped nervously on the table. "Can I say something?" he asked bluntly, pulling my attention from my textbook on my desk.

I refrained from saying, 'you just did,' and instead went for a more practical approach. "Yeah?" I asked him curiously.

"I'm sorry," he blurted. "I shouldn't have come at you so angrily like I did yesterday. I...I should have been a bit more realistic when Vic told me what you'd said. She's known to blow things out of proportion. I just got upset because we already have so many problems and what you said, or what I thought you said, just added into the mix."

I stared at Axel as he ranted. Another thing I appreciated about the boy sitting beside me was his ability to say that he's sorry. Not many people can do that, but he can, and he will. I haven't heard him say it many times in our friendship because we didn't get into arguments as often as others; when we did, we didn't let them get to the point where we stopped talking, aside from our most recent argument. But I felt guilt drip through me when I realized that I didn't deserve this apology. I didn't know what to say so I just nodded.

"I also want to apologize for anything she said, and for even suggesting that you two hang out. It was stupid. I know how she is," he continued and I sighed, turning to look at him.

"Stop apologizing," I told him. "Especially for Victoria, she's capable of apologizing for herself. I don't want to hear it from you."

He swallowed the rest of his words and simply stared at his text book.

+++

I was at my house that evening, sitting in the living room, watching television. I heard the front door open and I assumed it was my father, so I got up and approached the door. Instead, I saw Axel standing there and I quirked an eyebrow. "She actually let you come here?"