Chapter 12: Late Night Rooftop Conversations

School ended rather quickly on Friday and before I knew it, I was approaching the parking lot with Sam, who calmed down a lot from Tuesday, when he was interrogated by Dylan. Seeing as he began parking in an empty spot in row E, he had to walk past the guys in order to get to his car. Today, I had to join him. And it was just our luck that the guys decided to wait.

"I'll be right back, I'm going to make sure my brother knows that I'm not going home right away," I told Sam and he nodded. I approached the truck and walked up to my brother. "You can go home now," I blurted. "All of you. Please."

"You're still mad about Tuesday?" Dylan asked.

"No, I'm just not going home," I told him.

"You're spending the night at Sammy's house?" Isaac asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

"No," I told them before any assumptions could be made. "I'm going to froyo with him and then he's bringing me home."

"Is that what the kids call it these days? Froyo with him?" Miles asked and I glared at him. Kids? He's the youngest here.

"Didn't convince him to see a movie?" Axel inquired and I glared at him, too. Isn't he supposed to be helping me?

"So yeah, I'm not coming home until later," I informed my brother before turning towards Sam. I approached him and we walked to his car- a white pick-up truck.

"Let's go," he insisted as he opened the door for me. I got in, placing my bag in the area in front of my seat. He pulled out of his spot and as we were driving past the guys, they began calling at me to have fun on my date. Sam simply smiled at me before we headed in the direction of froyo.

We arrived at the frozen yogurt restaurant and I looked at him as he handed me a bowl. "What's good here?" I asked.

"Well that depends on what you like," he answered. "They have frozen yogurt but there's also ice cream. Do you like fruity things? Chocolate? Or vanilla? Cookies and cream?"

"Chocolate," I blurted.

"There's triple chocolate ice cream," he told me as he tapped the machine. I began filling it up, stopping when I decided it was enough. I moved on to the toppings, waiting for Sam who was getting a mixture of things, creating a Neapolitan sweet. When he stood beside me I noticed that he got a lot of ice cream. He saw me staring and smiled sheepishly.

"What are some good toppings?" I asked as I stared at the menu. What would taste good with triple chocolate ice cream?

"Fruits?" he asked and I snorted.

"I have a bowl of triple chocolate ice cream in my hands and you're asking if I want to put fruit in it?" I chuckled.

"Yeah, you're right," he laughed. "There are nuts and drippings and just sweets in general."

I skipped over the nuts and went straight for the drippings. I allowed caramel to layer over my ice cream. I moved on to the sweets, watching as Sam loaded his bowl with M&Ms, cheesecake chunks, and Snickers bits. I went for a more simple approach, allowing cookie dough bites to fall in my bowl. Once we finished making our desserts, we approached the scale and he told me to place mine up there, so I did. It was weighed and the amount was displayed. I began reaching into my pocket and Sam shook his head.

"I got it, don't worry," he smiled and I hesitated. If I don't pay then that makes this a date. Well, it still could've been a date had we paid for ourselves but he seems like a traditional guy. I watched as he weighed his treat, too, and paid for both of them.