Chapter 29: Closing the Distance

In the first couple of months of the new year, not much happened. My relationship with Axel strengthened and everyone seemed to accept it, not that they had a choice. The only nasty looks I got were from Victoria and those made me a bit triumphant. Though Axel would roll his eyes whenever he saw me grin, I could tell he was amused by it. Sid and Isaac were officially a thing and were bound to win 'Most Unexpected Couple' come time for our class to vote on superlatives. But Cam and Oliver would definitely get runners up seeing as their newfound relationship has turned quite a few heads.

Aside from all of that, it was your average high school experience. Studying for SATs and trying to map out senior year for the juniors and preparing for prom, graduation, and college for the seniors. It was fun to watch Dylan experience all of the last year activities but I couldn't help but be a bit jealous. However, I was proud and excited to see him and Demetri cross the stage. I think they were more excited about the graduation party, which would be taking place afterward. It was in full swing by the time Axel and I arrived to Demetri's house.

"Cowabunga!" Isaac screeched loudly as he cannonballed into the pool with a loud splash. A couple people laughed and cheered at the hyper twin. Isaiah simply shook his head and took a long swig of his soda, tossing it into the trash once he finished.

"I can't believe they graduated," Axel mumbled from beside me.

"I know. It's going to be so weird being seniors," I responded.

"No, I didn't mean that," he shook his head. "They're just so stupid."

I snorted loudly as I watched Demetri and Dylan attempt to jump into the pool simultaneously. Dylan slipped on the edge, hitting his bottom on the pool and Demetri belly flopped into the water. The two boys caused a couple onlookers to cringe, me and Axel included.

"Next year, it's us," I told him with a grin and he nodded as he stared out at the graduates swimming in the large pool. The music was loud and I was starting to get a headache from standing in the only area that didn't get wet from splashes, which was right near the stereo.

"Can we go for a walk?" Axel asked just as I was about to suggest doing the same. I quickly nodded my head and we managed to slip past the pool and out of the yard without too much hassle.

I was grinning wildly at him and he looked at me in confusion. "What?" he asked and I chuckled, shaking my head. "No, tell me, I want to know."

"Everything is just...perfect," I explained as I grabbed his hand and allowed them to swing beside us. When I saw his curious expression, I decided to continue. "Before, life seemed so out of whack, so unbalanced. My friendship with you fell apart. I was struggling to come to terms with my feelings. I was trying hard to catch up to my fellow teenagers. I was just overall not in the best place. But now... things are perfect."

"Things are pretty perfect for me, too," he explained. "There's just one problem," he started with a frown and I furrowed my eyebrows. "It's...it's in...my pocket." His stupid voice changed and I shoved him away from me, repressing the urge to laugh as I stormed away, pretending to be mad. He began to call after me before deciding to run. I allowed myself to grin as I turned and saw him jogging towards me. Finally, it seems, he's chasing after me. When he reached me, he closed the distance between us by pressing his lips to mine, only stopping when I pulled away laughing. Things can't get any better.