Chapter 10: I Guess I Couldn't Help Myself

By the time Friday came around, I was nervous and excited. I had invited my friends to go to Axel's house with me but they all couldn't go. Sidney couldn't because she had to work. Oliver was busy with family stuff. Camilla told me that she didn't want to be alone when I decided to sneak of with Axel, which definitely won't be happening. She seems to forget that he has a girlfriend and that I'm not his type. However, she didn't forget about introducing me to Sam, which I put off until Monday.

At six o'clock, Dylan and I got in the car and headed to Axel's house. My brother looked at me and began listing off rules, like I actually took orders from him. "Don't start any fights with Victoria. I know you don't like her and I know she's petty and she's crazy and she's childish, but do it for Axel. And I know you'd do it for Axel."

I glared at my brother, scoffing. "You know, I don't do everything for Axel."

"Whatever," he responded. "Just don't do anything crazy."

"Yeah, whatever," I retorted. From what I recall, she's not supposed to bother me or else she'll get in trouble with Axel. Speaking of their relationship, Axel's been updating me on how it's been going. They've been getting along and whenever he comes over my house, she doesn't call him four times an hour like she used to.

As we arrived at Axel's familiar house, I got out of the car and approached the porch, hopping up the steps and opening the door for Dylan, who entered without thanking me. I gave his back a dirty look before stepping inside the house and venturing into the living room. Colton, Miles, Demetri, and Holden were sitting on the couches, while Dylan, Axel, and the twins were in the kitchen. I sat beside Demetri, smiling at him before turning my attention to the television. Some cartoon show was playing and I vaguely recognized the characters.

About ten minutes later, Axel entered the living room and sat beside me, letting out a loud sigh. "Finally...I can sit down," he muttered as he relaxed against the cushions.

"Axel, you don't have any Sprite!" Isaac yelled from the kitchen.

"Where'd you put the Sprite?" Axel asked my brother, who purchased it earlier at the store.

"It's in the truck," Dylan said from the opposite end of the couch. A second later, the keys flew at us. "It should be open, but in case it isn't."

Axel got up before turning to look at me. "Come with me."

"No..." I whined.

"Come on," he insisted. I sighed before holding out my hands. He yanked me upward and I followed him out of the house and towards the truck. "Are you okay?" he asked me curiously. No, I'm not. I like you and I thought that you'd be breaking up with Victoria soon, but you guys seem to be fixing things. And I feel like a horrible person for wishing you two would break up but I can't help it.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I lied to him as we approached the truck.

"I know something's wrong," he informed me as we arrived at the vehicle I share with Dylan. "What is it?"

"Nothing," I insisted as I went to the trunk, reaching down to see if it was unlocked. When I found that it wasn't, I turned around to get the keys from Axel, who took a step closer to me. Rather than moving back after noticing our closeness, he decided to put his hands on either side of me, practically pinning me against the truck. I stared at him with slightly wide eyes. What is he doing?

He stared at me with curious eyes, as if assessing my face. "What's wrong?" he asked me in a stern voice.

I stared back at him, meeting his sturdy gaze before sighing and breaking eye contact. I looked at the ground, feeling the warmth rush to my face. "I...I like this guy, okay? You don't know him, or maybe you do, who knows?" I started. Of course you know him. You are him. "And I know he doesn't like me. And I guess I've liked him for a while and my friend is trying to help me move on, but I don't think I can. I mean, don't get me wrong, I want to. I really, really want to. But I just can't."