Chapter 8

Ugh the title won't cooperate -.- I can't get it to do the accents and it's annoying me... don't worry, it'll be fixed later in the chapter when it's mentioned...

So this chapter gets a little funky but I'm still in the writing process. For you guys who've done NaNoWriMo know - it's not about writing a good novel, it's about writing a novel. So yeah. Just, like, deal with it? 

Go read now. BYE! :D

~ ~ ~

After consuming a croissant sandwich, a taco, a grilled cheese sandwich, two apples, and a churro, we finally leave the market and head back into the castle to Alexandria's room. There had been some more exotic foods to pick from, but honestly, they were too weird and I chickened out. The food I did get was amazing, though.

"Guys, we gotta go back to that churro place someday," Charlotte tells with her mouth full of sugar and pointing to a churro in her hand. "These are the best."

Emely reaches over and tears off a bite from Charlotte's churro. "I know, right? I never thought I'd love Spanish food so much."

"You know, I think I like it here," I say carefully. "I thought everyone in Portage was happy, but it's a different kind of happy here. It's more bright and colorful, rather than just a friendly kind of happy. The Market is amazing, and the food is pretty good. And I get to spend all my time with you guys too. I mean, there's no school either, so that's great-"

"That's where you're wrong," Joanna interjects. "We have classes tomorrow."

What? No way. I still have to go to school? I still have to learn? I still have to do all that even though it's a supernatural world with magic and wings and flying?

"Don't worry, the classes are really fun, actually. We only have three classes anyway - flying class, Aires History, and Magic Properties. We had it arranged so you'll have all the classes with us. We sacrificed Flying III to be in Flying I with you! You should be grateful, Ivy," Alexandria scolds playfully.

"Wait, so it's like a half-day? But everyday?"

"Essentially."

"I suppose that's not so bad, then. Are there lots of other kids too?"

Charlotte purses her lips. "The Aires population is slowly declining. There are three other Winged our age here. You know Nathaniel, and then there's Aela and Lucas. That's it."

Nathaniel is a Winged too? Goodness, what else did that stupid magic filter hide from me? "Not many..." I comment. It's even smaller than Portage!

"Yeah, not many. That's why the King sent all of us to make sure you were safe. He's getting desperate, it seems," Emely says.

"He sent you all? To protect me?"

Nods of affirmation run through the group.

"That's why you freaked out when that black cat came out of the forest," I say to Charlotte. Suddenly another piece falls into place. "Gosh, I'm so sorry I wandered out on Friday by myself! I thought that the Panther was the black cat we saw that first day." I'm beginning to realize just how much my presence in Portage has affected their lives.

They just shrug. "It's fine. You're a great person, Ivy. I'm glad I was sent to fulfill this job, because I got a really good friend out of it," Charlotte says softly, looking at the ground and shifting embarrassedly.

For a second I have no idea what to say - I suck at being non-awkward in these kinds of situations. I come up with something that sounds okay-ish and settle for it. "You're a really good friend too, Charlotte. All of you are. I'm really sorry I got you all into this whole mess, but thanks for sticking with me through it all."