Chapter 11

This one's short. Quite short indeed. But even MORE stuff happens! *gasp* Have fun reading all the drama *wink*

~ ~ ~

"Hey Mom."

"Hey sweetie. I'm really sorry we have to go through this again. This time, I promise..." Her speech suddenly trails off into a deep hiss, then into a snarling growl. Somehow, I don't react when her eyes turn bright green and I start to eat the cinnamon rolls she sets in front of me.

I stand without finishing my breakfast and move to go upstairs. Suddenly, I'm in the forest on the way to Portage Academy. I see the green eyes in the bushes. Holding out my hand to it, it starts to move forward, the growling sound emerging from its throat.

When it pounces, someone screams.

I jolt awake, sitting straight up in my bed, breathing hard. Was it just a dream? What in the world? Phew, I think it was just a dream. I lay back down carefully, moving my wings to the side and relax, about to try and go back to sleep.

Someone screams again, somewhere down the hallway.

Crap. It wasn't just a dream. I grab my phone and open it up to find that my friends have created a new group text and they had been texting like crazy on it, seemingly trying to wake me up.

Ivy: WHAT IN THE WORLD JUST HAPPENED

Charlotte: IM COMING JUST HOLD ON THE PANTHER IS NEAR YOUR DOOR DO NOT LEAVE THE ROOM AT ALL COSTS

Alexandria: DONT LEAVE YOUR ROOM

Emely: ITS DANGEROUS THIS IS NOT A JOKE STAY PUT

Joanna: guys i thinks she gets it ok

Ivy: can do

I sit on the hammock, shut my eyes, and plug my ears, trying to block out the horrible screams that sound from outside my room. They don't stop - until it tapers off with one last screech of pain. I try to avoid visualizing what just happened. The sound of claws against the stone floor fade away as the Panther moves down the hall. After a few seconds, Charlotte bursts into my room and closes the door behind herself quickly.

"What the jeepers is going on?" I practically shout at her.

"Calm down, Ivy. I'll explain to the best of my ability."

"Okay. Go on."

"So, we're being invaded. Somehow. Somehow, a Panther got into the castle and now it's killing Aires. No one knows how it got it, but no one can stop it. It's massive! They didn't sound the alarm though, or people would go out into the halls, and that would give the Panther way more targets to attack. They told everyone over the intercom to stay out of the halls, especially in this hall. Obviously, I broke that rule, but it was necessary for this situation."

"Um, okay."

"Ivy, I'm kind of scared, this is the first time this has ever happened before." Her face is pasty white and I can see a sheen of sweat on her forehead.

"It's never happened before? Never?"

"That's why this is so shocking. No one knows what to do. No one was prepared for this." A crash sounds from the hall somewhere and she winces, her skin becoming even paler if that's possible.

"Well... what should we do?"

"I suppose just sit and wait. There's really nothing else we can do. We aren't fighters, and neither of us are even full-bl-" She stops suddenly, her eyes wide. "I mean, we're both just kids. Um, I wonder why the Panthers even chose this time to attack anyways." She changes the subject abruptly.