6

Chapter Six

The Next Day

Still on a high from the police discussion, I practically skipped into school and ran straight to tell Megan who was standing by her locker talking to a boy. As I approached I noticed him to be yet another jock who wanted to stick his man bits into anything and everything.

"Meg!" I called and she turned around and waved at me excitedly; she turned back to the boy and said her goodbyes before running to me.

"Hey Kan, have you changed your mind on the case?" I almost laughed, I had forgotten to tell Meg above all people that I had decided to pursue the case. It had been a week since it was announced that Mark was missing and the need for him had died down in school. The gossip returned to drunk cheerleaders doing weird stuff at parties- it almost saddened me that Mark had been forgotten so quickly.

"Yeah I've already made a few breakthroughs," I began to tell her about what I had found out on the way to my locker and Meg listened with sick fascination. She was like my detective buddy except she never did any of the work and instead just looked on with wide eyes. But she was my only friend and I had to stick it out with her.

Just before we came to my locker yet another boy stopped Meg to speak with her- I knew she was pretty but all of a sudden she had become like a boy magnet! Laughing to myself I walked over to my locker to grab my books before lessons began but as I pulled open my locker something fell out, just like they do in the movies.

Picking it up warily I didn't know what to expect, of course the dramatic side of me decided that it was a warning note immediately but my more rational side told me it was just a scrap piece of paper that had fallen out of one of my books. For once my dramatic side was right.

'To Kansie,

Your in over your head

It will only end up you getting hurt, leave it while you can.

:)'

I stood in the hallway reading it over and over again until Meg tapped me on the shoulder worriedly.

"What's that Kansas?" She asked snapping me out of my trance. It was the kind of thing that only happened in books and films, where the main character gets a note warning them and something gruesome always happens to them. Shaking my head at Meg I walked away and tried to rationalise the situation. It wasn't some blockbuster and the chances of me getting cut up into little blocks was very slim.

Taking a few deep breaths, I tuck the note into my pocket and walked to class hoping to forget the whole thing. Its just a note, I told myself but I could almost feel the letter burning a hole in my trousers. I knew I couldn't ignore it but I chose to. I chose to because I was already drawn into too far.

(Six hours later)

The end bell rang and I gathered up my stuff, practically running out of the classroom. I hadn't been able to concentrate knowing the note was in my pocket. I kept going over it in my head, it was so patronising. So evil. So sinister.

What gave me the most chills was the name they had called me- Kansie. Mark had always called me by that name, but the chances if him writing the note were impossible. Mark Smith was far away, he had ran for days by then. He could have been in another country for all we knew.

Walking home (as I always did) I held the note in my hand, I couldn't bring myself to read it again. Just thinking about it made my hairs stand on end.

"Oi Kansas," I sighed, it was the same guy that had talked to me on the day that Mark was announced missing.

"Hey Max," I had learnt his name knowing that we would have a conversation again.

"Any leads on Mark?" He was the concerned friend again, the one that made my heart melt. The one that just wanted his friend home.

I didn't want to ruin his day by giving him false hope so I just said, "Not yet Max, not yet."