.PROLOGUE. The Lady of Light

.Prologue.
The Lady of Light

All Rights Belong to J

All Rights Belong to J.R.R. Tolkien.

Deirdre P.O.V

The eerie looking fog was thick, causing my eyes to strain for visibility, yet somehow the addition of the mist caused my surroundings to take on a romantic atmosphere, with underling sinister tones.

Stepping away from the hustle of ordinary life, I had found myself strolling through the vast overgrown forest, that laid to the east of my village, in the early morning air. It had rained the night before which made the forest and rolling hills look lush and green, simply begging people to touch their leaves and grass in the freshness of the new day.

The forest was a beautiful and serene piece of land that had so far been untouched by the ever increasing need of new homes in the village, yet still I feared that one day my sanctuary would be removed and replaced by thatched roof houses and cobbled stone paths.

Caring a bottle of ink, my favourite quill and a roll of parchment in a small woven bag, I gleefully wondered through the forest, marveling at the sound of the foliage beneath my, fog hidden, slipper clad feet. Running my hands against the wooden trunks of the old and worn trees I could not help but smile as I witnessed the beauty that surrounded me.

For as long as I could remember, I found that nature had a wonderful calming effect on me. It helped in clearing my head when I was weary, and had always been a great source of inspiration when I felt the urge to take up my quill and let my imagination run wild.

The path I walked had never changed and I had walked it so often that there was a clear track of flattened sticks and leaves along the forest floor, but on that particular day the path was shadowed by the fog and the air was thick with trepidation.

Rushing forward, I started to becoming unnerved by the looming shadows and overall presence of the forest for it was like nothing I had ever felt during my many trips under the thick canopy of leaves. Branches that hung low clawed at my skin, hair and the thin cloak I had wrapped around my shoulders.

One branch seemed to drop right in front of me, leaving a scratch from the middle of my left cheek, going up towards the outer edge of my eye. Without feeling the wound I knew the branch had cut deep as before too long I felt thick blood run from the injury and down my face.

Another branch luckily missed my skin yet somehow managed to get caught on the ribbon that fastened my braid together. With a snap the ribbon came loose, freeing my uncontrollable black curls from what bound them, to fall down my back and around my face.

Panic rose within me as I started running, finding it difficult to remain on a path that I could only just barely see.