.4. Nazgûl & the Lay of Lúthien

.4.
Nazgûl & the Lay of Lúthien

All Rights Belong to J.R.R. Tolkien

Strider's POV
I stayed by the window for the next few hours, keeping a watchful eye on the Prancing Pony. The night was dark and the heavy rain fogged the windows, but still I remained at my post.

The hobbits and Deirdre all slept soundly in their beds. Deirdre was an anomaly to me. Gandalf had never once mentioned her and he especially never mentioned that anyone else would be waiting at the Inn to aid Frodo in his quest.

As far as I was aware, it was only suppose to be me. So why did Gandalf not mention us to one another?

From where I sat I could see her sleeping on the spare  hobbit sized bed. She was lying on her back with her knees bent due to her height. Her long black hair fanned out around her and her dark tunic had ridden up as she turned in her sleep, causing the light from the fire to reflect off the milky white skin of her stomach. She was small in frame but held curves in every place a man would want. If it were not for her ears and her golden eyes, Deirdre could have easily been mistaken for an elf.

I watched as her whole body shivered from either cold or a nightmare that she was having. I stood, took off my thick cloak and slowly walked over to her.

I saw the hilt of a dagger sticking out from under her pillow; a small smile played on my lips, she slept armed just as I did. The hilt was black but inlaid with silver vines and leaves. I could just make out small Elvish markings at the base of the blade.

All her belongings were of Elvish make, from her weapons and her crystal pendent that hung low on her chest, to the delicate bracelet clasped around her wrist. Even her clothes were embellished with Elvish details.

Her cheek bones and jaw line were very prominent but rather then making her look deadly and sickly thin, they complemented her overall fairness.

She slept on top of the bed sheets rather then in them, which I believed to be the cause of her shivering; I placed my cloak over her and she sighed in her sleep, enjoying the new warmth.

'She's beautiful, isn't she?' Came a small voice from another bed.

Frodo Baggins sat up and pulled the blankets off him.

I only nodded in the dark and returned to my spot by the window.

Frodo stood by the fire to get warm but noticed my unease as I watched riders dressed in black approach the Prancing Pony.

I watched as they entered the Inn, swords drawn, searching for the one that they would not find.

I was thankful that, Merry, Pippin, Sam and Deirdre still slept as the riders were not for the fainthearted.