.10. The Council of Lord Elrond

Some info revealed about Deirdre/Naerwen in this chapter!!

Not edited......

Enjoy!

Deirdre's POV

The following morning, all of Lord Elrond's honored guests were escorted to an outdoor courtyard which had been set up to serve as the location for the council meeting. I arrived with Gandalf and Frodo, who was holding tightly onto my hand, to find a large congregation of Men, Elves and Dwarves. They all sat in a semi-circle around a stone pedestal waiting for Lord Elrond to begin, which he did once everyone was seated.

'Strangers from distant lands, friends of old. You have been summoned here to face the threat of Mordor,' He spoke, 'Middle-Earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite or you will fall...Each race is bound to this fate — this one doom.'

Elrond paused and beckoned towards the stone pedestal before continuing. 'Bring forth the Ring, Frodo.'

I silently watched Frodo become nervous as all eyes turned to him, still he rose from his seat with moderate confidence and walked towards the pedestal, placing the little gold ring in the middle.

'So it is true...' Came a dazed Boromir.

I resisted the urged to shake my head and roll my eyes at him, opting instead to give Frodo a reassuring smile as he returned to his place between Gandalf and I. It was already clear that Frodo was more at ease without the weight of the ring bearing him down anymore. I grabbed his small hand and held it in mine; I wasn't sure whether I did it to reassure him, or to reassure myself.

Every member of the council had their eyes fixated on the ring. Staring at it myself, I could distinctly hear a soft voice in the back of my head that did not belong to me. It appeared to whispering to me and as I looked around the area I could tell that everyone else were hearing something too, only from their different expressions they all seemed to be hearing something different.

The silence was broken by someone saying, 'The Doom of Men,' But no one looked up to see who had spoken.

In fact it was Boromir who drew everyone's attention away from the ring as he stood up to address the council.

'In a dream, I saw the eastern sky grow dark. But in the West a pale light lingered. A voice was crying: 'Your doom is near at hand,' He spoke as if he was talking directly with ring and not to any on us, 'Isildur's Bane is found.'

Boromir had walked closer and closer to the pedestal, as he spoke, until he was directly in front of it. Slowly he reached out his hand towards the ring; I shot a concerned look to Lord Elrond just as Gandalf did the same. Boromir's fingered hovered mere inches above the ring.

'Isildur's Bane.' Someone whispered as Lord Elrond leaped out of his chair.

'Boromir!' His voice was raised higher then I had ever heard before, causing Boromir to stop in his tracks.

Gandalf was the next to stand only he wasn't so graciously excepted as he began chanting in what could only be Black Speech.

'Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul, (One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them.)'

The ring echoes the harsh words while thunder crackled in the distance as the sky darkens. The members of the council all stared at Gandalf in fear and confusion, but the words seemed to have the worse effect on me.

My head began to pound until it became painful and unbearable. I groaned in physical pain and held my head in hands. I saw Strider become tense but not at the voice emanating from the ring, he was watching me! Frodo clutched his shoulder where his wound was still healing, and would forever continue to heal, but still he looked at me and grimace at the pain evident on my face.