.8. The Meeting of Familiar Faces

Naerwen's POV

Having wiped my tear stained cheeks dry for what seemed like the millionth time, I stood from the now cold bath and dried myself with a nearby cloth that Arwen had laid out for me along with a long silk robe.

Pinning my wet hair on top of my head, I walked back into the bedroom dressed in only the robe.

'Feel better?' Arwen smiled.

Avoiding her gaze I simply nodded and sat upon a small chair in front of a large mirror. Taking a fresh cloth, I unpinned my hair and began drying the ends.

'You seen absent minded, Naerwen. Are you ill?' Arwen asked with concern evident on her face.

That was always the problem with elves; they did not find it difficult to speak ones mind, so, when someone was behaving abnormally, or even was just being quiet, they jumped to the conclusion of illness.

'I am perfectly healthy, Arwen, no need to fear.' I said giving her my best reassuring smile. The smile was fake, but even if Arwen suspected me of lying, she did not question it.

I made small talk with her as she styled my hair and placed a thin layer of powder across my face. She then helped me get dressed into the gown she had deemed suitable for dinner.

Catching my reflection in the looking glass I took in the beauty of the dress.

It was not in a style of a Elven gown; where their dresses were made of light fabrics that danced in the wind, my gown was made of a more heavier fabric

It was not in a style of a Elven gown; where their dresses were made of light fabrics that danced in the wind, my gown was made of a more heavier fabric. The beauty in most gowns worn by Elvish maidens were there simplicity in design and detailing as the Elves themselves were so beautiful that they did not need embellishment. This new gown however screamed embellishment.

The bulk of the dress was made in thick velvet in a very dark forest green colour which was then lined in gold silk. Around the collar, down the plunging neckline, then flaring out to the floor was the most beautiful gold embroidery I had ever laid eyes on. The gold detailing continued on the sleeves and down the arms where the fabric was split to allow ease of movement for my arms.

'I had it made,' Arwen said beaming at me through the mirror's reflection, 'You are one of kind, therefore you needed a gown that would set you apart from the rest.'

'Set me apart?' I laughed, 'All hope I had of blending in is lost now.'

'Naerwen, you have never been one to blend in...oh, one last thing!' Arwen hurried over to a small box to retrieve a gold chain in the shape of leaves on a vine.

Carefully she placed it in my hair to lay against the braid she had made just before.

'Perfect.' She smiled finally happy with her work.