May 8th: Vanessa

Vanessa's day in the body...

 I slowly peel my cheek from the sticky leather cushion, my drool and perspiration making it an especially gross task. After a little struggle, I finally save my exposed skin from the leather's grip and sit up straight. Stretching my legs and reaching out my arms to "air out" makes me realize how much I must have sweated during the night. I wish he would stop falling asleep and leaving the body in the weirdest places, like this moisture trap.

After a long and much needed shower, I start to dress when I hear the doorbell ring. I quickly put on my robe over my underwear and head to the door. I take a quick glance at who it is as I pass by the dining room window. A small tang of fear strikes me as I see no one other than a best friend, Zac. My fear is due to the fact I have messy hair and absolutely no make up on, a complete contrast to how I normally present myself. I desperately try to reposition my hair to being at least semi-attractive and make my way to the door.

"Hey," His eyebrows raise up and he gives a small nod.

"Hey, sorry. I'm not exactly up yet."

"No, that's okay." He says and a moment of silence follows. Desperate to end this awkward quietness, I start to say,

"I figure-", but unfortunately, he starts to say something like,

"Actuall-" and we both stop, he says, "Sorry, what?"

"Oh, sorry. I was just going to say that I figured you wanted to play basketball with Vic." He glances down at his basket ball and rolls it around in his hands.

"Yeah, we were planning to do that. We both thought he'd have another day because you had two days in a row."

"I see." and after another few seconds of brutal silence, I say, "So what did you want to say?"

"Oh, well, you were apologizing about not being up yet. I was gonna say that actually, I think you pretty good just how you are now."

"Oh!" I say, pleasantly flattered, "thanks."

"Yeah, no problem," his smile uncovers his perfectly white teeth, "So do you have plans for today?" He asks.

"Yeah, I'll probably call Ashley and see what she's up to."

"It's Saturday night. Are you going to go on a date with that Mike guy?"

"It's Miles."

"What happened to Mike?"

"There is no Mike, it's always been Miles."

"Whoever," he chuckles.

"Yes, whatever his name is, I'll be busy with him tonight."

"Well, I hope you two have fun."

"Thanks." I say.

Zac and Ashley are my oldest best friends. Oddly enough, they alone don't exactly get along. They would have a lot in common with their rich parents and living in the same neighborhood, but they never connected. Ashley is somewhat of a typical mean girl snob. She loved purposefully excluding Zac when we were kids.

We were probably about ten or twelve years old when Ashley's parents threw a house party after they moved into the neighborhood. The property was enormous, including a beautiful rose-bush garden and an old helicopter pad. Magnificent glass windows connected the massive backyard to the classic architecture inside. Pillars and an outdoor bar snuggled close to the house, and a TV overlooking their hot tub. The pool was split in half by a runway, (one Ashley would eventually strut down and tragically fall into during her Sweet Sixteen party) the kids playing in one side and the adults in the other.