May 15th: Vanessa

May 15th: Vanessa

Vanessa's day in the body...

Today I wake up like how I do every other day I'm in the body, only this time as a single woman for the first time in two years. Miles and I finally decided to break up after a hellish week of fighting off and on (only off when Vic was in the body).

"Why would you think I'd be okay with something like that?" I sneer at him. I notice his hazel eyes dart around the room as if he'd find the answers somewhere in my bookcase or desk, finally they settle on me as he says,

"It was just something different," his voice growing louder and louder with every syllable until he's practically yelling, "I don't know why you're so mad at me for trying something different! God! I'm trying to be a good boyfriend and you just don't appreciate shit."

"Yeah!" I start yelling back, completely losing any sense of restraint I had left in me, "of course I don't appreciate watching people fuck in the middle of a party, you dumbass!" Oops, that may have been a little far.

"Dumbass?" He reiterates softly, sounding hurt by the word. So now I'm the bad guy. I can say I'm sorry, beg for his forgiveness and vow to make it up to him somehow. But I won't this time. I'm tired of fighting. I'm tired on working on this doomed relationship. It's time to end it.

"I'm not even sorry." I say quietly with a unnerving amount of decisiveness.

"Wow," he says with tears pooling his eyes, "you're such a bitch. You know that?"

"No, Miles, I'm just done with my kindness being taken for granted. You should leave now." His tears stay in his reddened, exhausted eyes and he turns around to leave.

"See you around, Ness" he says as he exists my room.

So here I am now. In my bed. My beautiful, loving, comfortable bed. These Egyptian sheets and silk covered comforter would never betray me. I wish I could stay here, engulfed in my warm bed for all eternity. Unfortunately, my mother will soon be entering my room, concerned that I didn't get up when my alarm went off. So I decide to soldier on another day in high school.

The past few days I've gravitated towards Ashley because I didn't just end a romantic relationship with her (Miles) and I didn't almost just start one (Zac). But I figure Zac and I have had enough time to cool off to approach him today. After a quick walk up the stairs and halfway down the journalism, I see Zac's leather jacket glistening in the bright light. I gently poke him on his shoulder from behind as he stands at his locker, he turns around with a look of surprise on his face.

"Oh, hi!" He says, not able to take his eyes off of me.

"Hi! How's it going?"

"Umm," he rubs the back of his neck, "well."

"So, do you have plans tonight?" I ask him while he tries to act casual and rearrange the books in his locker.

"No, do you?" He says.

"Lisa is throwing a major rage-r tonight that I'll probably be attending," I pause a moment to appreciate his sharp jawline and handsome profile. I've always known Zac is somewhat of a heartthrob here at Valmont, and I can see why with his great looks. Honestly, I'd be lying if I said I was never physically attracted to him (I don't think many people aren't). Believe me when I say he's beyond handsome. But there's something more I've been attracted to ever since the night Miles and I attended that horrible sex party. His eyes were as beautiful as they always are, but there was something deeper to them that night. I could see sincere concern in them as he quietly told me that I deserved better. And the sensation of his hand caressing the side of my face was not merely physical. He had the gentle touch of someone who strongly cares for another. Why didn't I just let him kiss me right then? Oh God, Am I falling for my best friend? He catches me staring at him, lost in thought, so I quickly think to say, "Umm, I'm surprised you haven't heard about it."