Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Last night was probably the best I had slept since I had been here. In a weird I was starting to feel more relaxed in Nathan’s home and presence now. I don’t know what has changed, but it was nice.

Nathan didn’t stick around to greet me this morning much to my disappointment. Instead I learned that he had left an hour before I came down for breakfast. I thought he would have at least left me a message or something.

Oh well, I thought, pushing those thoughts aside. Maybe he didn’t want to wake me. It was very considerate of him if the was the case.

“More orange juice Mrs. Hol- I mean Peyton?” She corrected quickly.

Despite my morning gloom about Nathan I sent her a smile in return. She was the first person that worked for Nathan who actually called me by my first name. At least someone around here listens to me. I think Amelia and I are going to get along just fine.

“No, I’m fine.” I said covering my glass. “I was actually getting ready to head out. I have a few more interviews I need to complete this morning.”

“I’m surprised you had time for any interviews this morning; it’s nearly noon.” She replied gathering up the dishes.

I nearly choked on what was left of my orange juice as I pulled the now raised glass to my face away from my mouth.

Surely it couldn’t be noon already. No wonder Nathan left without saying goodbye. He would have wasted half the day waiting on me to rise.

“I hadn’t realized. I guess I better call and see if I can reschedule.”

I wonder what possessed me to sleep so late. I am always an early riser. Despite the fact that I stayed up till two A.M talking with Nathan this morning, I still should have been up by eight at least.

“I’m sure it won’t be a problem. If they know your husband then they’ll understand.” She stated before exiting the room with a tray full of dishes.

I sighed to myself at her words. I didn’t want them to know. I wanted to get a job on my own. That’s why I hadn’t told them myself.

I pushed myself up from the table and proceeded through the living room on my way back to my room. I still had so much I needed to do. There were interview appointments to reschedule, family to call and not to mention I hadn’t even gotten dressed yet.

My mother would kill me if she saw how lazy I was being today. She was more of an always keep busy kind of person; nothing like me. I mean, of course I like to stay busy, but people deserve rest sometimes.

However, today was not one of those times.

The rest of the day passed rather quickly what with all the things I had to do and kept my mind rather busy. Two of the places I had interviews with today had no problem letting me reschedule my appointment as I gave them a little white lie about having to be out of town for something today, but the third had informed me that the position I was applying for had already been filled, so having me coming in was not necessary anymore.

After that was settled I finally got around to calling my mom and Kristen seeing as I hadn’t spoken to them in a few days and arranged to meet them for lunch sometime next week. My mom had always loved Kristen so it wasn’t a problem getting them both together for one lunch date.

They knew each other pretty well from all the times Kristen had come over to my house or I had gone to hers. In fact I should probably drop by and see how her mom is doing now. Well maybe after I meet with Nathan’s parents. I don’t think they would like it very much if I went to visit everyone else in town before meeting with them. Beside they were technically my in laws and Nathan had informed me last night that they had been bugging him to arrange a get together between our families. I suppose I can’t avoid it for very long.