Chapter 4

Sammy POV

After spending the whole weekend with my mom and Mandy, I felt torn between not wanting to leave and wanting to go. I wanted to leave because I couldn't bear seeing my mom in pain, although she tried her best to hide it from me by turning away from me while we spoke or pausing for a long time whilst we would go for her routine walks. I just wanted to wipe away all pain and tears; make her be the energetic and vibrant mom that I once knew. 

Don't get me wrong, I love my mom- probably even more so now, knowing that she's fighting back each day she wakes- but I also want to leave; I miss Cindy, I have high hopes for seeing that sexy god of a man again and also I miss my apartment. As much as Mandy and mom made me feel welcomed, I can't help but feel like a stranger in my own home each time I return. The memories and nostalgic sentiments I had attached to this house were replaced with worry and fear for the unknown future.

I sighed as I removed my earbuds, turning off my device and looking to the front of the cabin where the flight attendant was speaking. The familiar numbing came back and the only thing I remembered was the plane slightly angling downwards for the landing. 

Having made my way through security and baggage claim unscathed yet with absolutely no memory of what happened, I robotically inched towards Cindy whilst trying my hardest not to get dragged down by the heavy suitcase- mom had helped Mandy pack me a feast for myself and Cindy.

"Hey, babe." She reached out for a quick hug and took my suitcase from my grasp. I breathed out a response and thankfully she didn't force me to participate in what would only be described as a very depressing and one-sided conversation. She placed the suitcase on the backseat, helped me with placing my carry-ons next to it, then urged me to get inside the vehicle.

The drive home was short, with little traffic. Honestly, it was all a buzz. The light drizzle, the flashing lights, and the soft hum of the A/C encouraged my mind to succumb to the numbness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mmmm," Someone groaned from beside me, followed by a yawn and some shifting. I frowned, not really paying attention to the noise, and covered myself with the fluffy duvet, welcoming sleep once more. 

"Sammy." Another yawn and then a cold hand shook me awake. "Sam, get up or you'll be late for work." I groaned and sank into my mattress, allowing the sheets to swallow me up. "Babe, I know you're tired but you have work. I'll go make breakfast, so get up."

I groaned and threw the sheets off me, shivering slightly at the slightly lower than normal temperature. I got up to brush my teeth, relieve myself and take a shower. After half an hour, I stepped out of my bathroom to start my morning routine; lotion up, pick out an outfit, and style my hair- or flop it to one side then apply hairspray. I sighed and sat on my bed to do up my shoelaces, then went to look in the mirror.

This time I decided on dark maroon pants and vans to match, my black employee tee and a beige thick pullover draped over my arm. My eyes darted to my watch just as the smell of chocolates and sugar wafted into the room. 

7:43

"Hey babe." Cindy greeted as she set -what seems to have been the final thing -a teapot on the table. "Come." She beckoned with a smile; clad in her messy hair, tank and pajama shorts, her fluffy bunny slippers. This meant one thing-

"So you have today off?" I asked as I pulled out a seat and poured myself some berry-flavored green tea.

"Yup." She nodded and handed me some chocolate chip pancakes as I gave her the teapot, "I'm out for this week, so I'll be doing some shopping and maybe go visit my parents this weekend."

"Oh, sounds cool." I nodded and dug into the grub. She'd made chocolate chip pancakes, got out some yogurt, and had reheated my mom's honey peanut granola to have with it. We spoke for a while about anything and everything really, until she'd asked me about work.

She knew I'd been having a bad time at work from the time I started working there. However, she understood completely why I'd decided to stay put and not find another job. The salary was good and so were the benefits, plus it was within good walking distance from my house should anything have happened to my vehicle. But, I'm pretty sure she wasn't asking me about work work.

After a moment of silence induced by me, I sighed dreamily and eyed her. "... Is it weird that I look forward to him visiting me again?"

"Sammy, babe he's not visiting you. He's shopping like any normal citizen." Cindy chuckled while munching on her last pancake.

I sighed and began packing away my dishes into the dishwasher, "I know but.... I think I maybe you know like him...?"

Cindy started choking the moment these words left my mouth. I patted her back and offered her a glass of water. She gulped it down while wheezing a little, "Thanks... and did I just hear you say that you liked him?!"

It was my turn to sigh again, "I said maybe and-"

I hadn't even finished before my cell phone started screeching. I jogged over to the counter, picked it up, and answered, "Hello? Sam spea-"

"Where the hell are you?" My boss screamed.

Oh, shoot. What time is it?

I looked up at the kitchen's wall clock and mentally face palmed.

8:17

"Hello?!" My boss's angry yell brought me back from my thoughts. 

I shivered and tried to explain myself, "I-I um, I'm sorry sir I lost track of-"

"Did I ask you all that?" He screeched.

Well that backfired...

"N-no but tech-"

"Shut up!" He growled and I whimpered, catching Cindy's attention, "Now listen carefully you good for nothing little shit, the store was supposed to be opened 5 minutes ago! It's your turn!"

My eyes got misty but I didn't dare to say anything back, "So get down here in no more than 10 minutes or you're fired." He hung up.

Still in the kitchen with my back leaning against the wall facing the dining room I heard Cindy's soft pads on the oak floor. I wiped my eyes and tried to steady myself as her padding got closer. Cindy is protective over me and it flares whenever she sees me crying- given the fact that I'm easily triggered ever since I found out about my mom. I coughed a little, trying to get my voice to not sound like sandpaper got lodged in there.

"Sam? You okay?" She asked as she approached me from the side.

"Y-Yeah. It was just uhm, my boss." I shuffled around while pulling on my beige pullover and gathering my valuables.

"Hey, are you sure? Where are you going?"

"Oh I have to go in early today, you can stay over if you like," I said putting a calm expression.

"Sammy?" She asked, trying to look me in the eye, "Are you sure you're okay."

I nodded quickly and turned around, heading towards the door, "Don't forget to lock up if you leave. Later!"

~~~~~~~~~~~

I arrived at the store in 5 minutes. I quickly opened up and tidied my station and counter a little. About an hour later the store was packed with people doing thanksgiving shopping. As I checked people out, I started to get bored. So I asked Nathan to hold on for me and went into the supply closet to get the pricer. I began to pull a cart, with some difficulty, out of the storage unit and trying to navigate it around the packed aisles to the canned goods section. 

A few cans in, I heard a very familiar voice get louder as they made their way through the crowd of shoppers.

My heart quickened.

Oh no.

As was about to run into the storage unit to hide, I felt the familiar strong muscular arms wrap around my shoulders.

"Hi baby." He hummed seductively. I shivered like I always did when he called me that.

~~~~~~~~~