Chapter 17

Dominique's POV

I am so stressed. It was Friday night and I still had yet to meet up with one of my clients. I tugged harshly at my hair while trying to steady my angry breaths.

"Sir, you have a caller on line 2," my temporary assistant, Claire, said to me through the intercom.

I grunted in annoyance and tried my best not to lash out to her, it wasn't her fault anyway. I sighed, "Thanks." I pressed the button to pick up the call and answered with a fake 'hello'.

"Dominique! Oh thank the Lord!" I heard a breath of air on the other line.

I squinted my eyes, recognizing that voice from anywhere, I sighed exasperated and obviously not in the mood for her antics. "Mum? What's wrong now?"

"Dominique! This is your mother you are speaking to, young man!" She hissed lowly into the phone.

I sighed, "Sorry mum."

"Mhm... Anyway, I got a call from Sammy? I don't know if he mistook the number but he left a voice message for you."  She quietly said into the phone.

My breath hitched in my throat. Ever since I had shouted at Sammy on Wednesday, he had completely ignored all my calls. 'So why is he sending me a voice message then?' I asked myself, clearly confused, happy, and sad all at the same time.

"-nique!"

"Hm?" I asked, slightly dazed. She huffed and I rolled my eyes, "OK mom, I'll bring some sushi and come over to listen to it."

"Thank you baby." I could practically feel her smile through the phone." Although, could you pick me up some dumplings at Tokato's? And tell them to lay off the yellow tale when you order the sushi."

"OK, mom... Anything else?" I asked slightly amused yet sarcastic.

"Actually..."  Oh gosh, why did I have to ask?  "Could you pick up some wine and a cake maybe for dessert... Ooo and some ice cream and popcorn too!" She squealed and by the looks of it it seems that I will be sleeping over with a movie night.

~~~~

When I had finally hauled all the grocery bags up the stairs. I shoved the door open and nearly tumbled to the floor when my foot dragged for too long on the floor.

"MOM!"  I yelled.

She emerged from the kitchen covered in flour and glared at me, "As if I couldn't already hear you coming in with all the noise you made."

I rolled my eyes and huffed, "Whatever."

She rolled her eyes and came over, kissing my cheek before bending down to pick up the bag with the ice cream and the cake box to put in the fridge. I trudged after her, the other bags in my hand.

I plated out our dinner and we ate in comfortable silence. A little joke here and there. I was anxious as to what the message from Sammy would say.

Would he break up with me? Was he still mad at me? Would he still allow me to come over?

All these thoughts were still rushing through my head as I inched closer to the recording machine. My mum thought I was overreacting, but I beg to differ.