chapter 6

Cindy's charm bracelet and necklace ---->>

Sammy POV

"Hey, Sammy!" Cindy's chirpy voice rang through my apartment, from the answering machine. 

I had just gotten back home from work and as usual, played my voicemail messages while going to undress and then shower. As I made my way down the hall while removing my pullover, Cindy's voice continued, "I was wondering if you're still on for the pizza date tonight? Call me!"

After hearing the beep which signaled the end of the message and the silence that followed also indicating that there were no new messages, I went to the bathroom to have a nice, warm but brief bath. I hopped inside the shower for a quick scrub then, 15 minutes of soaking later, I went to rinse off all the bath and essential oils from my body and to wash my hair. Exiting the bathroom, I rubbed the soft towel gently against my hair while trying to mentally piece together an outfit for tonight. I finally decided on my black jeans, white cardigan, and plain light blue tee shirt and then went to fix my hair and get dressed.

As I padded to the kitchen- with just some colorful fuzzy house socks on to help protect me from the ever so slightly decreasing temperature of the tiles- for some juice and maybe a light snack, another message came in. 

Damn, that reminds me I need to call Cindy.

I pressed play on the machine and moved into the kitchen to find something to munch on. After some lengthy silence, which made me wonder if I really pressed play or not, the person recording finally began talking. 

"Uh... I'm not too sure if I have the right phone number..." A breathy sigh went through. However, that voice. It sounds so familiar.

Where have I heard you from?

As if reading my thoughts, he continued to say, "It's Dominique, in case you're wondering, from the supermarket." Cue the gasp and blush, "This is so weird and I hope you don't think I'm creepy or anything..." He trailed off again, "but I was wondering if I could take you out for brunch tomorrow. Oh and I'm sorry I just jumped on you earlier today, I was actually going to ask you out," blush intensifies, "but I couldn't figure out how." Some shuffling and more sighs before he began speaking once more, "and then I overheard your argument and you kinda sounded sad." 

I gasped at the fact that he saw right through me. I thought I hid it well, under a blanket of anger and disappointment but apparently not. 

He's right though. I was sad. I wished that things had turned out differently between me and Jared. I wished he was faithful and had tried to let me make him as happy as he had made me, but I guess that a person cannot truly be content with someone unless that someone is their person. 

I had once thought that he was mine and I was his but I see now that I was wrong.

Dominique took a deep breath, making me snap back to reality and realize that he was not done speaking yet and that I was standing with the fridge door open. I took what I needed from the fridge while he continued, "I'm sorry. I realized that it must have been rude of me to intrude on such a private conversation especially how I did it but I didn't really think about it. All I knew was that I had to get in there and help you. However, I totally understand if you don't want to see or hear from me again... but if you do change your mind, call me."

Then it clicked.

How did he know my number?

"My number is on the card." Then the 'end of the message' beep signaled and I collapsed breathlessly onto the counter. I felt so many emotions right now swirling in my chest. A few of those I could pick out ranged from confusion to anxiety to slight giddiness. Still, I was sure my whole face was on fire not just from the call but from the memory of the incident that had happened earlier today in the canned foods aisle.