*Chapter Two*

*Chapter Two*

“Right, can I have an explanation about this?” My throat was hoarse, and I hope I didn't show any emotion on my face.

Zach came home a few hours after the incident. Well, the expression on his face when he saw three corpses on the ground, the guy that I never get along, and a girl who went missing years back hugging me in our very house, was quite funny if it weren't for the circumstances. I was still in a state of disbelief over the fact that my aunt had just been killed. It hurt to think about it. Zach didn't show much, but knowing him, he was probably pretending to be clam so I wouldn’t freak out. It was such a typical move of his. I knew that he was hurting as much as I was.

I was currently sitting on the table in a house a few miles away from my house. Castina had insisted that it was no longer safe back there. Castina was cooking breakfast, and she shot Ray a worried glance. He just shrugged.

Normally, I would have freaked out. Right now, I felt drained. My entire body felt heavy, and the thought that Marilyn would never come back scared me like hell. Something within me urged me to accept what Castina, no longer how absurd it may seem.

“She has a right to know.”

“Wait,” I cut him off, “first of all, who, or what, are you?”

“I'm a runar,” Castina answered.

“Really? I'm a unicorn.”

The corners of Ray's mouth twitched, but it was gone as soon as it appeared. Castina wasn't amused one bit.

“Runars are messengers. They can easily travel through dimensions. There was an immense war seven years ago in Holsina where the runars lived. It completely destroyed that dimension. Very few runars survived. I would say less than a few hundred survivors.”

I narrowed my eyes at her. For all I knew, this could all be a hoax.

“She's not lying. We're not humans.”

My head snapped to Ray. “You are in my school. How doesn't anyone know? Hell, I've known you for all my life and I’ve never suspected.” I let out a huge breath. “You have always been such an ass to me that I tend to avoid you whenever I can.”This time, it was Castina's mouth that twitched and Ray simply looked annoyed.

“Yeah, I don't like you.”

“Right,” I rolled my eyes, “I didn't expect that.”

I heard footsteps and Zach appeared in the kitchen.

“You owe us an explantion,” his tone wasn't friendly at all.

“I will explain everything once you two eat properly.”

“No-”

“After you eat,” Castina peremptorily cut him off.

Zach and I were the only ones eating. Castina and Ray just sat nect to us and watched us eat. I practically shoved everything into my mouth in a haste to finish or more like to escape their gaze although I didn’t have much appetite for anything. As soon as we're done, Castina led us to the living room.

“Have a seat please.”

Zach and I sat down and they sat down across us.

“Okay,” Castina clasped her hands together, “I'll start with the legend. It's going to be a long story so bear with me.”

~Hell~

The room was dark except for the occasional flicker of candles. The air was chilly and smelt of moss. The dark master was deep in thought, but he was disturbed by a knock on the door.