*Chapter Eighteen*

*Chapter Eighteen*

“Oh god, what is that?” Aria yelled, startling me.

I whipped my head in her direction, and I gaped in horror. Right there, a few feet away from me was a giant mess of moving mud.

For the first time ever since I got here, I actually saw people rushing around. Runars, demons alike. Everyone was trying to attack at the giant monster, but it was futile. It was like the mud absorbed all the attacks. A few unfortunate demons (from their more unfamiliar auras) were tangled in the mud, unable to move.

“Arianna,” I turned to see a guy in his late twenties with gray hair addressing her. “The barrier in the east have weakened because Master left Hell for a few days. A few 'brave' low demons tried to sneak in. I need you to stop this mud from getting further while I try to make a makeshift barrier until Master gets back.”

Aria nodded, and he left.

“Amy, stay back.”

She didn't wait for me to reply before she rushed to the small mountain of mud that is very slowly but definitely moving.

I wanted to help her, but instead, I was told to sit back and watch.

I suddenly felt a gentle tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see Lake grinning.

“What are you doing here?”

I thought he was supposed to help them stop the moving mud.

“Getting you to safety,” he smiled.

I gave him a sarcastic smile.

“I'm fine here, you know?”

“Nope, you're my top priority. Come with me,” he grabbed my wrist and started to pull me away from the rushing runars and demons. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. What's with people not even bothering to listen to me today.

“Here is fine,” I protested and forced us to come to a stop. “I get how your precious Master wants me to not be harmed, but you didn't have to drag me all the way here to this deserted place,” I rolled my eyes.

“It is vital that no one comes here.”

I felt a chill run through my body. The happy tone in his voice was gone, completely vanished. I slowly raised my head to meet his eyes. His eyes were narrowed. and a look of an emotion that I couldn't understand crossed his face. I couldn't help but take a step back. My instinct was telling me to stay the hell away from the person in front of me.

“I-I have to go,” I stuttered and made a dash for it. Unfortunately, his hand shot out and grabbed my upper arm. His vice-like grip made pain shot through my hand, but I was pretty sure that this wasn't what I should be worrying.

“No, Amethyst. You can't go yet.”

“W-What are you talking about, Lake?”

“It's obvious that you don't see me as a possibility of a mate.”

I stared at him horrified.

“Of course I don't! What makes you think - ?!”

“Unfortunately,” he cut me off in a low but scarily deep voice, “I need you to bond with me.”

“Lake, if this is a joke, it's not fun - ”

“I'm serious.”

Something in his eyes made me stop from arguing back. He was dead serious. I did the only thing I could think of. I kneed him in the stomach. Hard. His hand loosened slightly, and I pulled away from him. There was a rip of clothes. Not even I had managed to take a single step, I felt something hit me on my back extremely hard. I tumbled forward and slid across the hard ground.