*Chapter Seventeen*

*Chapter Seventeen*

I carefully dusted the lamp and placed it back on the table. There was a knock on the door, startling me. I immediately sensed Lake outside the door.

“Hey, Amy,” he grinned as soon as he saw me.

“Hey, you're out! How's your wound?”

An emotion of outrage and annoyance crossed over his face.

“The next time I see that arrogant brat, I will beat the shit out of him. He thinks he's so mighty just for catching me by surprise. He doesn't know who I am,” Lake spoke through gritted teeth in a voice full of venom that shocked me. “That kid not only stole Master's attention but also dared to attack me. Who the hell does he think he is?!”

“Er, I just asked how your wound was,” I said in a quiet voice.

“Oh,” he seemed to realize, “sorry, I got carried away,” he forced a laugh. “My wounds have totally healed in no time, but they just won't let me out.”

Yeah, they probably didn't want you to storm up to Ray as soon as you're out.

“Good to know that,” I smiled.

The smiled was wiped off my face when I saw the clock. I realized that I had exactly a minute to go to practice, and Ray does not tolerate tardiness, at all.

“Sorry, I gotta go,” I said hastily.

“Ray,” Lake said it like a curse.

I ignored him and quickly rushed to the practice room. I yanked the door open just as the minute needle of the clock in the practice room reached twelve.

Just on time. Phew.

Ray was already in the room. I calmly went up to him, and we took our stance.

*

“Not good enough,” he declared as my back hit the wall for the hundredth time.

I quickly got up. His hands were loosely by his side as he stood in front of me. If I didn't know better, I would say he was full of openings. On the other hand, if you do actually attack those openings, you would fall right into his traps.

I narrowed my eyes at him. He clearly knows that I would not win against him if he were serious about this. I have not discovered my ability while I'm pretty sure he's at least a few centuries old. There is no point when he doesn't even teach me. He's simply mock fighting me. It's thanks to Ashling that I'm still alive.

Ray looked...bored.

Great, I'm getting my ass kicked, and he's not even serious.

Ray charged at me which I narrowly missed. Although I could see his attacks thanks to my new...form, I couldn't follow them.

What are you doing? Your attacks lack motivation. You have to want to kill your opponent.

I was so shocked by the voice that I momentarily lost focus. I felt a force against my shoulder, and I went tumbling on the floor.

“Where are you?!” I yelled at no one in particular to which Ray stared at me blankly. I ignored him. I know I look like a retard for talking to thin air. “I know you can see me.”

There was no response.

“Neraine!”

Suddenly, I felt Ray tense.

Stupid girl, Neraine chided. Now he knows about me.

“Neraine,” Ray clenched his fist and marched up to me.