Chapter Eleven

"You are joking, aren't you?"

It was not the first time Kiefer had asked the question. Mika had broken the news to him over dinner, at the tiny table in front of the wide window in her living room. They have been discussing it since they started to eat. Now, as Mika poured coffee, she said, once again...

"I'm perfectly serious, Kief. The station manager called me in and told me I am going to Pampanga tomorrow."

"He ordered you to go, just like that?"

Mika would have preferred to leave the word "ordered" out of it... though of course it had been an order, she did not think of it that way.

"It is an assignment for the station, Kief. You do know that I do news stories now and then."

Kiefer stirred his coffee. "I am quite surprised that Jeron Teng is sending you the way you feel about Galang Confectioners."

"Perhaps, that is exactly why he is putting me on this assignment."

"I mean, everybody knows you are opposed to this thing. I can't think he would want a story like that. He is in favor of it."

"Kiefer, no matter what my personal convictions are, I always put together a fair report."

"But you feel so strongly..."

"Yes, and on my show I express my feelings and views on issues. That is the kind of show it is. But I am also a reporter, and I know when to stick to the facts."

"I am still surprised that he would send you."

I am not, she thought. She had not lied to Kiefer... she just said nothing about seeing Vic Galang coming out of the station manager's office before the show. She had not wanted to tell Kiefer that Vic made some sort of a deal with Jeron, and that she must have requested this assignment for her. Besides she does not have a proof of that. Hayst! She knew in her gut this was what really transpired. Vic had set her up for the job, and she knew that at least part of the plan was to cause conflict between her and her fiancé. Mika did not intend to add to her problems by falling into the trap and blurting it all out to Kiefer.

"It is a very appropriate story for me to do anyway," she said. "Most of the reporters at the station are new comers and are from out of town. I am a full-blooded Dumaguete local. I was born here. I lived most of my life in this town. They won't be able to understand the background of this issue more than me."

Kiefer was still looking thoughtful. "I suppose, that makes sense."

"If you are concerned about me... about Vic... I mean..." she stumbled a little. "I do not plan to spend any more time with her than I have to."

"Are you implying that I am threatened by her, Mika? I am definitely not. You are straight and is not attracted to lesbians like her." Kiefer said, sounding he was trying to convince himself more than just stating a fact. "I guess it is ok for you to do the story... it is your job. But you'll have to be careful about getting too close to her. You would not want talks to get started. Maraming maduduming isip sa paligid. It will be bad publicity for the family, the bank... and your dad's political plans too."

It did not surprised Mika to hear this from Kiefer. He was always so concerned with reputations and what other people would say and think.

"How long are you going to stay there?"

"A couple of days... the most three. If I can finish it in two, I'd catch the early flight on Saturday."

"How will you get around Pampanga?"

"Last time I check Pampanga is not a remote place. Angeles is a city... a big one. I am pretty sure they have cabs and public commutes", she teased.