Chapter Fourteen

The theatre was an old one, once used for vaudeville shows and recently restored to all its former grandeur. It was in the heart of Angeles City, and driving there from the suburban outskirts took them through a variety of neighborhoods and onto one of the busiest streets in the world.

"I did not realize it was this far," Mika said to break the silence.

"The sheer size of the city complicates a lot of things. Take cacao beans for instance..."

"Must I?" The reporter asked.

Vic smiled. "Have I worn out the topic? I was just going to say that if they come in by barge through Subic, they have to be off-loaded and carted across several towns. But if you are tired of the subject..."

"Not tired of it exactly. But it is not working hours..."

"Does that mean you don't want to talk about chocolates during the interval?"

"Something like that."

"Deal! I won't breathe a word about business till tomorrow morning. Tonight, let's have fun."

That was not exactly what the reporter meant either. But after all, what harm could there be in having an evening of fun?

.

.

.

The evening was frosted with enchantment, Mika thought dreamily as they came out of the theater. The play had been wonderful as Vic had promised. Mika laughed till her side ached, and then, as the tone of the play changed in the twist of an instant, had been ready to shed tender tears.

Vic had seemed to share her moods. Mika had been a little afraid that, because the young entrepreneur had seen the play before, she might be bored by it. But they seemed to find hilarity in the same things, and during one of the tender moments, Vic had reached for her hand, and held it until the end of the act.

During the interval, they have been greeted in the theater lobby by half a dozen people--- some of them had looked at Mika with warmth, others with a distant coolness. But all had been obviously curious. Vic had not satisfied their inquisitiveness by explaining who she was. She had merely returned their greetings, introduced them to "my friend, Mika Reyes" and moved on. Her hands placed warmly possessive on the small of the reporter's back. It had left Mika feeling protected and pampered and very, very important.

"It's a nice night," Vic said as they came out on to the street after the last curtain call. "Shall we walk over to your hotel? It's two blocks away from here and night sky is so beautiful tonight. There is a mall nearby and we can window shop if you like."

Mika nodded, insanely glad that the evening would go on just a little longer, and Vic took her hand.

The stream of people coming from the theater was soon left behind, but the streets of the city were never quiet. Tonight however, it seemed as if they were surrounded by a bubble--- a protective envelope that shut out the world.

It was silly, Mika thought, but true nonetheless that sharing laughter drew two people closer together. It was especially true when they discovered that the same sort of things made them laugh. Kiefer would have liked the play, but he would not have loved it as she had. While Vic... She felt a sudden stab of disloyalty that she even dared to compare the two of them.

The windows of the big department store along the way were brilliantly lighted. After the darkness of the theater, the light made Mika feel as if she was on public display. She brushed a finger across her eyelid.