Chapter Twenty One

And now what do I do?

Vic did not come last night. Did that mean she did not want her love... her devotion?

I will not ask for promises. Whatever she wants to give--- that will have to be enough.

Mika was waiting by the open door of her apartment when Vic came up the staircase. She wasn't sure how she got there, or what she would say. She stopped an instant on the final step, when she saw the reporter.

"It's early," Mika said, with the morning huskiness still in her voice. "Would you like breakfast?"

"Yes, I would," the young entrepreneur replied with a smile. She followed Mika in her unit and closed the door behind them. "That sounds very domestic, Mika."

Mika searched the words and the tone for sarcasm and she found none. She kept her back turned and reached into the refrigerator for eggs.

"You weren't at the press conference."

"No. But I heard."

"And how do you feel about it?"

"I'm glad." Mika's voice was carefully neutral.

"Are you?" Vic came closer. She can hear her steps on the floor. She braced herself, but the touch of her hand on her hair, streaming down her back, sent a shiver down her spine... bringing back memories of how it was to lie in her arms, how her hands felt against her naked skin.

She wanted to throw herself into Vic's arms then, but she was afraid that she would only make it worse.

Vic caught Mika's hand as she reached for an omelette pan.

"No engagement ring?"

The taller woman shook her head. She was afraid to speak. She might give herself away.

"Kiefer was at the festival last night." Her voice was expressionless. "He was drowning himself with beer. He ended up standing in a table, announcing to anyone who would listen that you were the only woman in the world for him, and if you would have him back, he'd marry you in a minute."

She sounded as if she was reading a prepared statement--- as if the words had no personal meaning at all.

"He was a little incoherent," Vic went on. "But I gathered that he thought he'd been unfair not to listen to your explanation of your erratic behavior."

"He probably thought it was a safe thing to say. I made it clear I don't plan to explain it."

"Well, I would not count on him actually doing anything about it. Considering the amount of beer he drunk, he probably won't remember a thing about last night."

"I am sorry for the hurt I have caused him," Mika murmured. She tried to break an egg but it seemed her fingers were clumsy.

"Why did you not try to make him understand, Mika?"

"Now you sound as if you want me to patch it up!" She was hurt... confused.

"I just want to be certain that you don't regret it."

"I do not regret refusing to explain it. What could I have told him?" She asked with irritation. "I am not that cold-hearted to tell Kiefer the truth--- and I am not a good liar. I certainly could not give him my word that I would never do it again..."

Vic turned Mika toward her. And when she tried to look away, she cupped her face in her hands so she could look in her eyes.

A little tingle of dread raced along the reporter's bones.