Chapter 5

Photo: Dylan Maxon Allen
Portrayed By: Ryan Allan
Chapter Dedicated To: AwesomeDudeMiggy

******

Chapter 5

I don't know how much time I have spent being unconscious. When I open the lids of my eyes, a still dark world greets me. The glass door is opened and I'm free to go. Then I just remember, the ground has swallowed the pill-like machine and to think that happened, then I must be in underground or something. But no, when my eyes scan the whole area, there's still a sky; a dark sky and the dark clouds never move, as if they are stuck. They look like a wallpaper but it's real.

Standing up, a pain greets my lower back and I groan in frustration. I must have been sleeping in an awful position, causing my lower back to hurt. I carry on, with little steps so not to make the pain grow. It will fade away soon. I bend down my knee a little so I can pick up my bag and sling it over my shoulder and walk again. As I force myself to move, I do a 360 degree scan on the surroundings around and find out that this world is mystical and evil. There are trees, but this trees are different. They don't have leaves. This world seems like it's in the process of dying. I suddenly get scared. I'm not used to this kind of world. Back in Pisces town, it's always peaceful and calm and it doesn't have any scary looking stuffs. Here, it seems like this town is full of hatred and it feels like in any minute, a huge monster would jump on me. And another thing, this place doesn't have any water for me to use so it will be hard, if there are any monster here, to fight them.

The hairs on my arm and back straight up when I hear a howl of a creature that doesn't sound good in my ears. I take a deep breath and start to move forward again. If I stay here much longer, then there's a higher chance that the creature would pounce on me. I walk further and further, but the road I'm taking seems endless and the howl, no, howls, of the creatures are getting louder and louder. My heart picks up a speed and my walk fastens, the small steps become wider, then becomes a run. I make sure to train my eyes in the road that I'm taking, but I get a little curious. My Mom used to say to me that I'm such a hard-headed boy, so I twist my neck and look behind me, and sure enough, there's a dark creature that is howling and it sounds like the creature is calling his other friends. My eyes widen and I run faster than I have ever done before, ignoring the pain in my lower back. Even though it hurts like hell, it is best for me to run and ignore the pain than to get eaten by those unknown creatures. I haven't read these things on the Book of Pisces. Sure, there are lots to expect here in the Journey, but I so did not expect these unknown creatures. It's only a matter of time before they get to me, so I turn to my right and run. It's so bright of me to think that they might be distracted and confused. I don't even know if I'm their target, but let's not dwell on that.

I just keep running, through the dark forest. My stomach grumbles and I groan loudly. As soon as I realize I'm groaning, I quickly put a hand on my mouth to stop myself. The creatures might hear me. The howling stops and I sigh in relief as I rest my back on the tree and take a seat. It's a good thing that I have put some water bottles inside my bag. I get my bag, open the zip, and fish out the water bottle and as soon as I have it in my hands, that's when my eyes train on the beast that is front of me. A shiver runs down my spine and my breath hitches. Its eyes are red, and the creature seems like a combination of a horse and a bull. Its furs are thick and long, and the claws are long and deadly. I gulp and stare straight into the creature's eyes. Wrong move. Its eyes become more red, looking like a blood, if that's even possible and I almost lose my breath. Good thing I know how to breathe even in the worst times. The creature howls and I block the deafening sound from entering in my ears by placing my palms on my ears firmly. I stand up, even though my knees wobble and about to give up. If I were just a simple human with no powers and all, I would have peed in my pants already but no, I try to stand firm and tall and powerful.

Then my eyes nearly pop out of its sockets when I see the beast lunging itself on me. A thought flashes in my head. I open the cap of the water bottle and manipulate it. I drop the bottle and levitates the water into the air and turns them into a spikey ice, and then commands it to hit the eye of the beast. As soon as the ice pierces the eye of the beast, the creature howls in pain and it gets angry and looks at me with hatred evident in its eyes. The creature's right eye is now bleeding, and the blood is not red but green. I turn the ice into a water again and turns it into a spear made of ice. Grabbing it, I give it a roll and a spin and then lunge for the beast, which is lunging now at me. Before we collide, I turn to the left and stab, with such force, the beast at the back and the beast growls. The beast looks at me and tries to lunge but then I stab the creature in its chest, where I assume his heart is, and then the creature coughs out blood and dies. His green blood is spreading on the floor.

But then the other creatures start to arrive and I get a thought in my mind: run. I cannot handle them. There's too many of them and my spear made of ice will break. Right now, this is the option for me to stay alive. Run. My footsteps echo as I run faster and faster until I'm out of breath. The horse slash bull creatures are now following me. They are behind my back. And good gracious I left my bag. I need to go get it back but if I turn back there, then I'm already dead. The spear will be my best weapon as of right now, but when this is done, I'll make a great weapon than this spear. I'm running out of breath and I need to stop to catch some air, but it would be the death of me if I ever stop, or even slow down from running. I turn to the left and greet another beast. This time, it's a werewolf but still a beast since it's bigger compared to the wolves I read on books. The wolf's eyes are yellow and it's staring back at me. My mouth hangs open and I nearly faint. Looking back, the beasts are still running after me and I turn my eyes back to the wolf and that's it, the wolf lunges himself on me and I shut my eyes tightly, preparing myself to die and waiting to be ripped by the wolf. But nothing. When I open my eyes, the wolf is not in front of me anymore and taking a look behind me, I see the wolf ripping the throats of the creatures that were following me. The creatures try their best to fight the wolf, but they are always being outsmarted by the wolf. Its ability to kill the beasts are awesome and perfect. Deciding that they should take a step back, the beasts that were following me flee and run backwards until I'm left with the wolf. When the wolf sees me, it snarls, revealing the pointy fangs. Here I am, alone with the wolf that has outsmarted the creatures, and I have no power to kill this wolf. There's no water around me and the spear I have is useless when it comes to this wolf.

Walking slowly, keeping my eyes straight into the wolf's eyes, I open up my palm and offer it to the wolf. I don't know why I have a sudden idea of being friends with this wolf, but I have a feeling that this wolf will never, ever hurt me. When I'm standing in front of wolf, I gulp and muster up a courage to place my palm on top of the wolf's head. The wolf's eyes are watching my palm with alertness and when my palm makes contact with the head, I flinch and wait for the wolf to eat me but he doesn't. In fact, when I open my fangs, the wolf is not snarling at me anymore but rather giving me a curious look. I give the wolf a smile and pet him, which makes him whine and I let out a chuckle.

"You're adorable," I say to the wolf while I'm running my hand through the soft dark brown fur of the wolf. "I should name you Brownie," and the wolf licks my face, telling me that he likes the name that I have given him.

******

Okay, so our Dylan has now a companion throughout the Journey. Do you think the wolf likes him? Do you think the wolf really likes the name Dylan provided him? Well, sooner or later, we will find out. So let's wait for the next chapter and see what happens.

Shout-out to my fellow Filipino writer, AwesomeDudeMiggy, for being nice to me! If you're a Filipino, or anyone that can understand Tagalog, you should look our for this guy's work! It's awesome!