Hair Pin

AN:

Hello to my wonderful readers!!! I'm sorry I couldn't post last Tuesday. 😁

I got sick on Monday and wasn't able to edit my new chapter.

I hope you're able to enjoy the chapter even thought it's kinda late.

- - - - -

I woke with a start to the sound of clanking keys and footsteps coming down the set of stairs leading back up to the main level.  I heard the muffled sound of someone arguing with the guard and stomping his way down the stairs.  We were obviously getting a new inmate.  My thought was confirmed when a red-headed boy around my age was shoved through the archway.  "Gosh," he exclaimed. "Lay off the pushing; I'm not trying to escape am I?  I can walk myself to my own cell."

He looked both ways down the long hallway; he looked like he was browsing an inn, looking for the best room to stay in.  As his gaze passed over me he paused and smiled.  "Well, hello there," he said to me.  I decided not to respond; he seemed very cocky, and I didn't want to get involved with him.  When I didn't say anything his face changed from a smile to a confused look.  What did he expect me to do, fall swooning into his arms at the first smile from his handsomely freckled face?  "Where did that come from?" I thought to myself.

            After studying me for a few more seconds he turned to the guard, and with an air of authority, he pointed to the cell next to mine and said, "I'd like that one please.  It looks the nicest." He obviously thought in his overly confident mind, that he would get his way down here.  "He'll see that they aren't very accommodating to us down here." I muttered.

            I was surprised when the guard said, "Fine, but no complaining this time. Last time you were in here I think you made my left ear go deaf from all your whining," and opened to door to the cell next to me.  The boy walked in and sat down close to the bars that separated our two cells.  "Well," he said looking at me with a smug expression, "Aren't you going to thank me for giving you some company?"

            "No," I said. "Your company isn't worth any thanks."

            "Well, then." He muttered in an irritated tone, but lowered his voice for the next part. "If you feel that way about my company, then you won't want any help escaping from this place, will you?"

            My head perked up. Did he just say escape? I looked over and saw that smug look on his face once again. A smile had started to form on my face from the mention of escape, but when I saw his face I tried to conceal any excitement on the matter.  Trying to catch him off-guard I asked, "How exactly do you suppose you would even get out of your cell." 

I didn't think he was going to have a reasonable answer to my question, and was surprised when he replied, "Well, that's where you come in."  What did I have to do with his plan? Even if we were able to get the guard to come over to us I was pretty sure that neither of us could hurt him in any way.  He surprised me again when he continued, "I imagine that you have a hair pin. Am I right?"

             I replied with a nod of the head and a confused look.  He went on to explain himself.  "Well, I've been to prison numerous times for the stupidest reasons I've ever heard of.  For example, one time I was working as a stone cutter with my Pap for a few days.  One of the men obviously didn't like him because he started talking very rudely to my Pap. I was only 12, but I was working as a stone cutter; you need to be strong for that kind of job." He flexed his biceps just to show off.  I rolled my eyes, but I blushed at him.  Luckily, he didn't notice and kept going.