My Protector

I'm SO sorry I didn't post yesterday!!!

I thought I had published this chapter, but when I checked this morning I guess it never actually did publish.

Once again... I'm soooo sorry about that!!! 😁

------------------------

The barkeeper followed us to the door and watched as we walked down the cobblestone path to the city borders.  The tavern was practically on the outskirts the village, so we quickly reached the dirt road leading out of town.

"That was weird," I said as soon as we were out of earshot of the barkeeper.

            "What part?" Reid asked.

            "Umm... I don't know," I said sarcastically. "Maybe the part where everyone kneeled down in front of me.  I'm not used to having attention like that."

            "Well, you'd better get used to it. There's probably loads more attention coming your way."

            "Ugh..." I sighed.  "I really don't like it though.  It gives me a weird feeling to have so many people staring at me."

            "Aw, don't worry about that.  You'll get used it.  I know that I did; I've always had the ladies staring at my handsome figure," he said gesturing at himself.  I looked at him and couldn't help, but agree that he was pretty handsome.  "See," he said in a triumphant voice. "Even you can't help staring at me."

            "I wasn't staring at you," I said back as I tried to keep the blood from rushing to my face.  "I was just trying to figure out why the ladies would think you're handsome."

            "Right," he said teasingly. "I get it.  You're just too scared to admit that I'm actually handsome.  Don't worry, I understand."

            I couldn't think of anything to say back to him so I just let out a "hmph," and walked faster down the road, stomping angrily.  "Hey!" yelled Reid as he jogged to catch up with me. "What did I say?"

            "Nothing," I replied, not wanting to give anything away.

            "Then why are you mad?"

            "I don't know."

            "Well then, if you aren't really mad, how about we walk at a normal pace.  You'll get tired pretty soon if you keep this up for much longer."

             "Um... how much longer are we going to walk exactly," I said as I slowed down my pace to the easy stroll it had been before.

            "I was thinking we would go as far as we can walk before sunset, then think about getting some food to eat.  There's not a town around here that's closer than almost a full day's walk, so I was thinking of just catching something for supper."

            "Wow, I didn't realize how far you'd thought this out."

            "I was planning on escaping from the prison sooner or later, so I had to have a strategy for afterwards.  Though I wasn't planning on taking a girl to the palace city.  I did have to change a few things, but I've been around this side of the kingdom enough that it was pretty easy to alter them."