Airdiere

We walked the whole day without stopping for rest with the exception of lunch. Even then we ate quickly and kept on going. I was nervous walking in my new dress, but was grateful for the comfort of it. It was just coming on twilight when we finally reached the palace city of Airdiere. As the light from the sun was disappearing behind the far off mountains, lanterns and torch lights began to flicker on within the city walls.

Reid and I approached the city gate slowly. I drunk in the beauty of what I could see from the outside. Right now the gates were open, but you could tell that they could be closed at a moment's notice. There were guards on either side of the tall archway who were checking everyone coming into the city. It made sense though, since this was the place where the king and queen lived, that there would be tight security.

There were only a few people in line to go inside in front of us, and it was soon our turn. "State your names," the soldier on the left ordered us.

"My name's Reid."

"And mine is Cadha."

"Reid," said the same guard. "Please hand your pack to my friend over there. And Mrs. Cadha, if you would please hand your satchel to me. I just need to search through it and make sure you don't have anything dangerous."

"Okay," I said nervously. I wondered what he would think of the contents of my satchel. I didn't think I had anything dangerous in there.

"Your good," the guard said after a quick scan of my bag, then he handed it to me and I slipped it over my shoulder once more. I looked at Reid and relaxed a little when I saw that he had been returned his bag as well.

"Have a nice stay in Airdiere," said the second guard as we walked through the gate.

"Thank you," replied Reid. "Let's see if we can get you to the palace before it gets too much later. Maybe they'll give us a place to stay for the night since you're going to present yourself to the king."

"Let's hope so," I said as we walked down the main street arm in arm.

You could see the palace from almost anywhere in the city, and roads leading from the gates went straight to the palace. From where I was standing I could see that it was built of one kind of stone, but I didn't know what type. It was quite short for a palace, but it looked strong and stately.

We rarely passed anyone on the street, because the sun had finally gone down, but the streets were lit with lanterns all along the way. While we walked down the picturesque street I felt like I was in a dream. I couldn't believe that I might have the chance of meeting my father. I had never had one, so I didn't know what it would be like. And not only that, but I might become a princess.

The door to the palace was made of a dark brown wood with ornate designs chiseled into it and plated with gold. I was scared to knock on it; doubt flooded my mind. What if my father didn't want me once he learned that I was a servant? What if I wasn't even the princess? What would I do if they didn't let me stay? I would have to go back to being a servant. All the hope I had built up was starting to diminish.

"What are you waiting for?" Reid asked me.

"I'm scared," I admitted to him.

"Aw... don't be scared my dear. He'll love you. I know I do."

"Don't say that,"

"Why not?"

"Because you don't really mean it."

"Oh, but I do. I really do. When I first met you, I have to admit, I just thought of you as a way out of prison. But now that I've gotten to know you a little better I could never leave you. Like I said before... I'll always be your protector."