The Raven Figurine

After I finished eating breakfast I explored more of the room. I discovered a bathroom/dressing room behind the door by the dresser. It had a screen to dress behind, a shelf with a bunch of fluffy towels on it and big tub to bathe in. I came back out and then opened the wardrobe. There was nothing in it but a few pairs of linen night gowns like the one I was wearing. I decided then to change back into my dark purple dress, and this time I was able to tighten the corset by myself.

I washed up and brushed out my hair with a brush I found on top of the washstand. Then I wandered outside my room to see what I could find. I wasn't more than a few steps outside my door when Ann walked around the corner with Reid. "Ah good," she said from the other end of the hallway. "I'm glad to see that you're up and awake. I was just talking to your friend Reid about your meeting with the King today. He won't be able to accompany you, even though he was very insistent about doing so."

"Oh, I'm sorry Reid. I'll be okay though. You can stop worrying about me every second of the day," I scolded him jokingly.

"Are you sure? You seemed pretty worried about it last night."

"I still am, but I'll be okay."

"The King has a few things he has to see to before he can meet with you, but it shouldn't be too long. He used to put off everything to meet the girls coming in, but now he seems less hopeful about it. You seem to have more of the characteristics from the portrait than most girls though, so I would say you have a good chance."

"Thank you Ann. That does make me feel a little bit better about it. Around what time should I be ready?"

"He should be done with his meetings before noon, but be prepared for any time before then."

"I will be."

"Then I'll leave you two to yourselves. I've got some other work to get to. I'll come get you when he's ready for you," Ann said as she left us.

"So..." Reid said looking at me. "What should we do while you wait?"

"We could just talk. That would be nice after walking for two days straight."

"That was quite a trek wasn't it," he said smiling at the thought.

"Ya, except for the fact that I think my blisters got blisters from walking that far."

"How about we just go sit down in your room and talk then. Maybe it'll help your feet."

"I like that idea," I said as he walked me to my room.

--------

The hours passed by much quicker than I had expected and Ann soon came to fetch me. "It's finally time for you to see him. If you want to you can touch yourself up before you go. I'll just be waiting outside the door.

I hurried over to the washstand and rewashed my face again, so that it shone. Then I brushed my hair just to get the few knots out of it and went to the door. Before I opened the door I turned back and picked up my satchel. I had almost forgot the most important thing of all. I pulled the little sheepskin bag out of the bottom. I don't know how I'd kept the satchel with me the whole time, but luck had been on my side. I clutched it in my hand and opened the door. "Good luck, Cadha," Reid called from behind me.

I turned around and he was right in front of me. He caressed the side of my face and said, "Even if you aren't the King's lost princess, just remember that you will always be mine."

I got up on my tiptoes and pecked him on the cheek.

"Thank you Reid," I said, then backed away. I hurriedly left the room, but still caught a glimpse of the giant grin on his face.

"I'm ready," I said to Ann, who was waiting right outside the door.

"Then let's go. I'll lead the way and you can follow."

I was glad she was leading, because as soon as she started down the many hallways I was lost. We reached his office, where I was meeting him, fairly quickly. "Whenever you're ready you may go inside. Good luck. I hope that you are really the lost princess."

I gripped the little bag in my hand and pushed the door open. I wasn't ready for what I saw inside. As I looked at the man sitting behind the big desk a flood of memories rushed back to me. I had only been four when I was taken from him, but I would never forget his loving face. I couldn't contain my emotions as he looked at me and I burst out crying. As I fell to my knees he got up out of his seat and came over to me. He kneeled down on the ground next to me and grabbed me by the shoulders just like he used to when I was younger.

He turned my face towards his and said, "I want it to be you, so badly. But I have to be sure you aren't one of those fakes they have been sending in to try and fool me."

"I know what you mean. I still have Mommy's figure. The one that looks like a raven that you gave to me on my fourth birthday. It was only a few weeks before they took me." I opened my hand and took the little obsidian raven out of its lambskin pouch. I handed it to my dad and he turned it over again and again in his big hand.

Then he looked up at me again. The tears overflowed from his eyes. "It really truly is my bonnie lass. I thought I'd never see you again when they took me from you." Then he scooped me up in his big arms and wrapped me tightly in his embrace.

We cried in each other's arms for a little while, but when we finally stopped he whispered in my ear, "Welcome home Cadha. My little girl is finally home."

------

AN:

I hope you liked their little reunion. I kinda cried while writing this 😁

I'm so excited that so many people are reading my story!!! It's amazing. I never really expected to get this far into it either. I kind of have a bad habit of starting a story and never finishing it, so your lucky that you're getting this whole thing.

I hope you've enjoyed reading my story as much as I enjoyed writing it. If you feel so obliged please do comment or vote for my story. I appreciate it so much 😊

The last update will be posted next week. It seems crazy that my story is already almost done! Have an amazing day!!!

- Thanks -