III

Logan scampers around his house, tidying anything that seems out of place

   Logan scampers around his house, tidying anything that seems out of place. Having Addison here tonight is really making him nervous, and he can't help but overthink. Is it really a date, or is she joking? What if she's being sarcastic? What if she's serious? Several questions rummage through his mind as he anxiously overlooks things. He wants his place to look as clean as possible, and he thinks it isn't working.

   Addison sits at home and throws several outfits before she decides a simple red dress with tights. She thinks she's overdressed but chooses to just go with it. She has no idea what Logan is planning, and the thought sort of excites her. After taking one last glance in the mirror, she lets out a breath, grabs her keys, and drives.

-

   There is a knock on the door. Logan freezes in fright. Addison freezes due to the weather. But neither of them moves. Addison knocks again, moving her knees backward and forward to attempt to keep warm. Anxiety rises in her chest, meanwhile Logan is thinking of what to say when he opens the door. Their thoughts take a turn for the worse.

   Is this the right house? What if I'm overdressed? What if he has company?

   She is a few minutes early, what if she has other plans? What if she wants to cancel? What if—

   "Hi." Logan swings the door open, gesturing for her to come in. Addison takes a breath of relief and enters the cozy home. The first thing she notices are his vacant walls. As the warmth captures her, she unbuttons her jacket. Slowly, all negative thoughts disappear. Her eyes gaze at Logan's attire—simple, black jeans paired with a colorful polo. She blushes at the thought of being overdressed.

   "You look great," Logan compliments, taking the scarlet jacket from her hands. She kicks off her booties and waits for him to return.

   "You do, too." She smiles, fingering her mother's necklace. A quick silence falls between them.

   "So—" They both begin, and then an awkward laugh follows.

   "What're we doing tonight?" she asks before he can start. She notes how he looks relieved.

   "It's still a surprise."

   "I see you took all the decorations that coated your walls yesterday. . ." Addison trails off. She can't figure out what they're going to do.

   "Good observation. We're gonna start upstairs." He grabs her wrist, causing her to shiver, and they walk in sync up the stairs. The rooms only contain beds and dressers and televisions.

   Why is his house so vacant?

   "I'll be back," he mumbles when they stop in a room. It's the biggest room she has seen since being upstairs, and she finds herself liking it. Logan walks out of the room and makes a left. Addison sits on the bed, immediately sinking into the comfortable mattress. She lets out a small moan; she'll do anything to own this. Laying back, she spreads her arms and fingers across the fabric. The blankets and sheets are perfectly white, which matches the dresser and walls. The air is cold, but not freezing. Perfect for sleeping.