VI

Addison shows up twenty minutes after Logan texts her. She decides to text him instead of knocking. It is freezing outside.

    "Hey," she says breathlessly.

    "Hi," he responds. Her eyes droop with sleep, and he suddenly regrets inviting her over. She must be exhausted. He knows she is.

    "Sorry for texting you. . ." she begins and he quickly shoots it down.

    "I'm sorry for making you come out. It's freezing outside, I shouldn't have—"

    "It's fine. I wanted to come," Addison quickly cuts him off. She blushes and takes off her winter attire.

    "Okay," Logan says, his face a bright shade of red.

    "So, it's almost five in the morning. What now?"

    "I don't know. I figured maybe we could watch some movies or something? If it'll make you feel better, they don't have to be Christmas-themed." Addison rolls her eyes at his remark but agrees.

    "Hit me with your best Christmas movie." She grins and Logan's face lights up. That's the last thing he expected her to say.

    "Okay," he replies, his grin mimicking hers. She follows him into the decorated living room. She smiles as the familiar faces gleam back at her. Logan turns and notices her staring.

    "I like what you did there. . ." he begins, going through his movies. Addison smiles even wider. Logan admires her dazzling beauty from afar—it's truly wonderful.

    "I was scared you weren't going to."

    "Why wouldn't I?"

    "Because I went into your den and took them. That's why." Addison plops down on the couch and lets out a sigh.

    "I don't even think I could muster the strength to be mad at you," Logan murmurs, placing in the DVD and sitting next to Addison. Addison doesn't even catch what he says.

-

    Once the movie's done, the two sits in the dimly lit room in silence. Addison can feel the lack of rest catching up to her, as her eyes droop lower and lower. The fact that the room is dark and warm isn't helping either.

    Logan can feel Addison slipping away. He is too nervous to break the silence, and when Addison's head falls onto his shoulder, he knows she has peacefully fallen asleep. She doesn't seem like the type to show such an affection, so his conclusion is she must be asleep. Why else would a gorgeous girl lean on him? The only possible answer is unconsciousness.

     The sleeping girl beside him makes Logan realize how tired he is as well, and he almost considers curling up with her on the sofa. But when he gently gets up, lays her down, and moves onto the chair, the only thing that runs through his mind is almost.

-

    ". . . not a good time. . ."

    "When can I meet her. . ."

    "She's asleep. . . later. . ."

    Addison lifts her head in confusion, wondering where the voices are coming from. She doesn't even remember falling asleep. Searching effortlessly for her hidden phone, she panics as she ponders what time it is. Finally, the rectangular electronic device comes into view. She clicks the home button, waiting for the robot to come to life.

    4:07.

    Tuesday, December 8

    Addison whispers out profanity and springs from the couch. Her body is suddenly aware of everything that has happened. She and Logan watched a movie, and then she remembers being sleepy. She must have fallen asleep. For eleven hours? How ridiculous! It is totally unlike her to sleep for that long. But she doesn't think she regrets it. She feels amazing, happy, and refreshed. It is probably the best sleep she's had in a long time.

    Addison follows the voices, one she now recognizes as Logan's, and she ends up in the den. Logan is standing in the doorway, his back against the frame, arms crossed. His blonde hair looks so dark it can be mistaken for light brown. His posture suggests annoyance, and Addison is suddenly anxious to see who can be making him that way.

    "You could visit me, you know." Addison pauses as the lady speaks. Her voice is sad and old.

    "I'm sorry, I've been so busy. I just graduated, you know. It's been hectic." Logan whines, his excuse making Addison roll her eyes. She walks closer when she hears a sigh. Addison finally catches a glimpse of the woman and instantly recognizes her. Logan's mom.

    "That's no excuse, Lo. Can I come in now?" Addison's eyebrows furrow. Why won't he let her in?

    Logan sighs deeply. He doesn't know what time Addison will be awake, and he doesn't want his mother to see a girl sleeping on his couch. It will look bad.

    "Mom, I'm really sorry but—"

    "And who is this lovely lady?" Logan's mom interrupts, pushing past Logan. He spins around, half hoping Addison isn't standing behind him. When his brown eyes meet hers, his heart races.

    "Addie, hey, I-I didn't know you were awake." Logan awkwardly rubs the back of his neck before walking beside her. Addison grins. Addie. He stands beside her and places an arm around her shoulder.

    "Mom, this is Addie...son. Addison," Logan clears his throat, "Addison, this is my mom." He leans into her and whispers, "good luck."

    "It's so nice to meet you, Addison! You can call me Tammy." Tammy reaches out and hugs Addison. Looking at Logan, Addison awkwardly hugs her back.

    "It's so nice to finally see Logan with a girlfriend! And so close to the holidays!" She holds Addison at an arm's length, inspecting her every feature. She subtly nods, as if approving.

    "Oh, honey," she turns toward Logan, not letting Addison go, "please tell me you're bringing her for Christmas dinner! Oh, your father is going to be so happy. And your brother will be so excited." Tammy glances at Addison again and smiles. Logan feels like a rock drops to the pit of his stomach when he sees the way she looks at Addison. He knows exactly what she is feeling. Tammy takes a deep breath and smiles at Addison.

    "It'll be like having a little girl again."
-
edited by the great @solitarypathways! myself and my readers can never thank you enough.

"-edited by the great @solitarypathways! myself and my readers can never thank you enough