Chapter 9

Determined to make the most out of the dinner tonight, I tugged my hair in a messy bun. I wore a white designer long dress and stiletto heels. After getting an approving look from Christian who waiting for me at front door, I internally smiled and walk towards him. I heard him sigh impatiently but his face gave nothing away. He strode around the front of the car, darkly handsome in a grey suit, white shirt and a shiny slim tie. My heart clenched. The ride to his parent's mansion were silent as usual. As soon as we got there, Christian snaked his arm around my waist and drew me closer to him. He bent his head and said quietly, " Smile, don't forget that we're newly wedded. They probably think we're still in our honeymoon phase. " I looked up and heat flooded my belly as I see a lazy smile on his mouth. I can't believe it. Why do I have to react like this to him after knowing him. I remind myself that he was putting on an act in front of his family.

Christian's pov
I've been trying to keep my attention on whatever my father was saying but it is impossible with Faith beside me. When I saw her earlier this evening in this dress, I was flabbergasted. She looked amazing even with the absence of make up.
" Faith -- " I started to say but was cut off when my mom called her name.
I saw how her eyes lit and a genuine smile appeared on her beautiful lips. She hugged her and I saw them walked away - completely ignoring me. I turned my attention to my father who was looking at me amusingly.
" No, don't try to catch up now. I know you weren't paying any attention on what I was talking about. I was like this when I married your mother 35 years ago. I was so in love with her that I couldn't let her go away from my sight for a minute. "
I smiled at him. My father can be a ruthless businessman but he was always a good husband and father.
" She's beautiful. I don't know if I will be able to love her one day but I try my best to be the husband she dreamt of. "
" What are you talking about? Can't you see that you have completely fallen in love with Faith. There's no shame in accepting your feelings son, she's your wife after all. " he let out a loud laugh and tapped my back. He excused himself to go to greet the guests. I grabbed the opportunity to look for Faith.
I heard her blissfull laugh before seeing her. I make my way to the kitchen when I suddenly heard a man's voice talking.
I saw Tristan leaning against the counter holding Faith's hand, drawing invisible lines with his fingers across her palm. Faith was laughing at what he was doing. I felt something boil inside my stomach. She never laugh like that with me.
I opened the door causing Tristan and Faith to look at me. I saw Faith's face paled as she quickly remove her hand from Tristan's.
" Hello brother. " Tristan said unaffected. I scowled and went to Faith.

Faith pov
I bit back a cry as Christian's hand tightened on my arms. He dragged me away from Tristan. " Christian - my arm. You're hurting me. " I finally managed to say.

I felt a movement behind me and in no time Tristan's hand were on Christian's shoulders.
" You're hurting her. Let her go. " Oh Tristan.
" Don't fucking tell me what to do. And don't you dare come near her or I will forget that I'm related to you. "
It was the first time I heard Christian cuss and seriously I was mortified and angry. I was just helping in the kitchen when Tristan came in the kitchen. He was talking about how he met a girl who told him that it's written in his palm that he is going to get married very soon and he was just playing around telling me that in my palm it's written that me and Christian were going to have cute babies one day.
Once we were out, I wrenched my arm from his grasp, rubbing it. I glared at him angrily.
" What is wrong with you? " I said.
" What is wrong with you ? He said. " I told you not to talk to him. And why was he holding your hand? Why were you laughing with him? Why, when I told you not to? "

I stood still, not saying anything. He ran a hand through his hair with an impatient gesture and then said curtly, " Reply me when I'm asking something. " he sounded irritated.
I let out a sigh.
" I was waiting you to say - no, command me not to breathe the same air as him for all the sakes. How do you expect me to ignore him like that? He's the brother, Christian and he is here at your parent's house. "

" Then why was he holding your hand ? "
Before I can reply, Christian's mother showed up saying that the dinner is ready.
I was sitting next to Christian and Tristan was sitting opposite of me. Tristan nodded at me and gave me an assuring smile. I flicked a glance at Christian. He was already looking at me. I despite myself touch his hand. He flinched and stare at me. He sigh taking my hand in his and lay it on my lap.
After bidding our byes, Christian strode past me and opened the passenger door. I walked over to get in, murmuring a thank you which he didn't heard.
The atmosphere in the car tensed when he got in. He turned to me and held my hand. His eyes were pleading.
" I don't want to lose you Faith. " My heart fluttered. He sounded sincere and the sincerity reached his eyes.
" I'm not going anywhere. " I said letting an awkward giggle, trying to loosen up.
" I trust you but I don't trust him. " he said. He opened his mouth and closed it as if he were debating if he should tell me the matter or no.
" You don't need to tell me anything if you're not comfortable. It's okay. "
I blurted out.
Christian looked grim. " It was two year before I met you. I was in Paris for a project when I met Linda. At first I thought it was just a fling then I realised that I liked her more than I ever did with my past flings. When I annonced my decision to engage her to my father, he told me about the agreement he had with your father. I felt trapped between my role as a son and lover. We thought about eloping but just one day before my birthday, I found her in bed with my brother. Everything came crystal clear, being too much friendly with my brother or staying out late at night without contacting me. I thought it was love at that time but I'm glad it all happened. " His voice sounded harsh as he said the last words. I felt my belly turned. He was willing to elope for love. He must have loved her a lot. I felt a ping of hurt in my chest.
He was glad it all happened he said. Maybe he still love her but trapped because of me. After all he was also forced to this wedding.
I heard him cleared his throat before starting the engine. I look out the window and imagine how the Christian in love was like.