step 2 - characterisation and choosing titles ✿

When coming up with a title, I sometimes flick through songs in my playlists, or quote a part from a book or song I like.

Although, my story titles aren't very creative, if you look at 'No Name.'

There are two reasons why it's called that:

1) I was hoping to change it later, but then I couldn't think of anything in particular to go as the name, so therefore kept it as it is.

2) I was also listening to No Name, by Ryan O'Shaughnessy.

Which is a really cool song btw.

besides the plot, I rely on my characters to make the story worthwhile.

I can't say this without breaking out into a Hannah Montana song, but NOBODY'S PERFECT, so don't create characters that are.

A Mary Sue is "a fictional character, usually female and especially in fanfic, whose implausible talents and likeableness weaken the story."

Someone who you describe as virtually perfect.

Here's my example of a Mary Sue.

Her thick brown locks of shimmering curls lay on her shoulders, framing her face neatly as she smiled with her perfectly painted lips.

Her cobalt blue eyes, which reflected every shade of the summer sky, were alluring, tantalising for any boy who fell for her.

She had a slender figure, yet her body was curved in all the perfect places.

She was flawless.

You see? This is a Mary Sue, and a reason why I might feel obligated to just stop reading there and then.

  In fanfiction writing, I like to be able to relate to the character, so include little details about her that are her flaws, or mention bad habits she has. This sounds off putting, but something that really irritates me is when characters are seen as completely perfect. There's no fun in having a black and white character, is there?