Chapter 1

GINA SHERMAN-

“Yeaaahhh, I beat you. AGAIN. Ha-ha, Gene. HA-HA!” Dan jumped off the couch, and started jumping in front of me. “I won again, Gene. Accept it. I’m unbeatable at this. Kiss my ass, baby.”

“Yeah yeah yeah, shut up already Dan,” I threw my console at him, but he ducked in time, and so it projectiled and landed on the Persian rug with a soft thud. “And ANYWAY, both of us knew you cheated, so what’s the use of your maniacal victory dance?”

Dan’s mouth formed a small ‘o’ as his hands flew to his mouth in mock offense. “Oh, I would NEVER think of cheating, Gene, by God, I wouldn’t even know its spelling.”

“Cut it, Dan. I’m hungry, feed your best friend, and don’t let her die.”

“I’m starving too, but my fridge is empty. Lee cleaned it last night.” Lee was Dan’s dad, who was more of a friend to him than father, and more of a father to me than my best friend’s father.

“Let’s go out for lunch. We do have nothing better to do, anyway.”

As Dan walked to the wall-mounted phone, I started walking around his house, or rather mansion. His house is HUGE, and is my second home. You could fit a hundred of my sized houses in here, and there’d still be space. It’s a Victorian-style, three-floored house, complete with a beautiful garden out front, a sprawling backyard with a pool, a pool house, a coffee table and a set of swings.

The inside of his house was even better. The ground floor was a complete and homey living room, decked with a 100-inch LED television and home theatre, a PlayStation 3 and squishy couches that sunk in when you sat in them. There was also the huge kitchen, and attached dining room, with the antique dining table and chairs. Upstairs, the first floor had 3 bedrooms, and a Jacuzzi room. Yes, you heard me right, a Jacuzzi room. That place was heaven.

The second, and final floor, was the guest floor. It was identical to the first floor, with 3 bedrooms and a Jacuzzi room, but it had a small landing space where the attic ladder was located. I still remember when I was six, I fell off the ladder and broke my arm, and Dan just stood there, being himself and laughing at how clumsy I was. Good times.

Oh, let me introduce myself. I’m Gina Sherman, also known as Gene, I’m sixteen. I’m not what you would call a ’raving beauty’ but I’m pretty, at least that’s what everyone says. I’ve got green eyes, a tan complexion, a full face, and perfectly straight, shoulder-length, brown hair. I’m an average height person- I’m 5 feet and 6 inches, and I’ve got a reasonably attractive body to accompany.

And, I’m Dan’s best friend and neighbor. My mom and I moved in next door when I was three, it was after Dad passed away. Mom had a tough time coming to terms with Dad’s sudden death. Dad and Mom were high school sweethearts, and married right after they graduated. After Dad’s death, since she could not stand living in the same house with so many memories, we moved across the country. And here I am.

Dan’s voice caught me from the kitchen. “Hey Gene, check your freakin’ phone. School starts in two damn weeks!”

I spun around and ran to the kitchen. “Don’t kid me, you moron. School doesn’t start in a month, at least. Give or take.”

“I’m serious, check it out.” He threw me my phone. I had five texts, mostly unimportant ones, but there was one from Camryn. She was the school secretary’s daughter, and mostly kept us informed about the school events. She was also Dan’s girlfriend; they’ve been going strong for a year now.

I quickly looked at Dan, who was on the phone with Mark, one of his buddies. I sighed and opened the text.

Hey guys, (: wanted to let you guys know that school starts in two weeks. – Camryn

“Ah, this sucks. Like, totally!” I groaned and slumped on the kitchen counter. “I was just starting to have fun. No fair!”

“Gene, stop pouting. You know I can’t stand that face.”

“But, Dan. This is not fair. Two weeks won’t be enough for the amount of shopping that I have to do!”

It was Dan’s turn to slump and pout now. “Gene, don’t start off. You can visit the mall this weekend, and shop till you drop. But please, don’t make me come with you. I’ll die.”

“Just this once, Dan. Please, please please please. I beg you.” And I put on my best puppy dog face ever. “Pleeeeease Dan?”

I felt his resolve crumble, and I did an internal victory dance at my convincing act. Finally he huffed and sank down into the chair next to me.

“Alright, just this time. You owe me lunch. Let’s go.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey there everybody, (:

So this is my first story, i just wanted to give writing a try.

PLEASE READ, VOTE AND COMMENT! (:

I want to continue, so if i get good feedback, i'll continue (: