Chapter 4

GINA SHERMAN-

It was the pizza guy alright, but he looked like he had just been in a major accident. His lip was split and bleeding, and his clothes were ripped mostly, and hanging from his limp body. His hair was falling all over his face and there was a deep cut near his right cheek. He was bleeding profusely, and he was deathly pale.

“Shit! Come on in and sit, I’ll get you something to clean these up!” I grabbed the pizza box in one hand and pulled him in. He was groaning in pain as I grabbed a bunch of tissues and began to wipe away the blood.

“Thanks” he muttered as I placed a warm Dettol-infused-water bowl in front of him and dipped a cloth into the bowl.

He drew in a sharp breath as the wet cloth touched the wounds, and it took me some time to get them cleaned and bandaged. By the time I was done playing doctor, he was fast asleep under my comforter.

“Damn.” I cursed under my breath, although I felt good about helping this guy. He looked helpless, and if I had left him go, I’m sure he would have met with an accident or something. I started trudging up the stairs to let Dan know that I had played doctor to a pizza guy and that he was sleeping on the couch downstairs.

I walked down the corridor to his room, and instinctively laid my hand on the doorknob, and then I realized that Dan wasn’t alone in his room. I knocked and waited. A much disheveled Dan opened the door, and sighed when he saw me.

“Oh god Gene, what’s up now?”

I had to laugh. “Umm, nothing. The pizza came. But the pizza guy was in such a bad shape, I guess he got into an accident or something. I nursed him, and now he’s resting downstairs.” I stated matter-of-factly.

“Oh shit! Gene, what happened? You didn’t knock him out for change did you?”

“Shut up you douche. Just come down, I want you to call 911.”

I managed to drag Dan away from his room but down the stairs he said something about getting Camryn to come down and went back to his room. I shook my head and started down the stairs. I had almost reached the end of the stairs when I heard Dan and Cam behind me.

“Finally, about time you came. Go down and call 911. I’m going to see if he needs anything. Cam, please help me.”

“Could you use another hand? I’d be glad to help.”

Camryn’s face turned and her gaze, and mine alike, traveled toward the source of that velvety voice.

“Oh Hal, that would be wonderful! You wouldn’t mind, would you, Gina?” Camryn asked me in a way that I couldn’t say no. I nodded my head slowly, my gaze locked with Hal’s all the while.

He smirked and nodded at me, and walked over to the guy on the couch. He picked him up, and started carrying him towards the stairs.

“Dan, I’m going to let him rest in one of your guest rooms, and really I wouldn’t mind staying over. My guess is that you people need some help. Gina, you mind giving me a hand upstairs?” I silently nodded and followed him upstairs, cursing my luck. It was going to be a long night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“So why do you hate me so much, Gina?”

The question caught me off-guard. I spun around from the dresser and looked him square in the eye. He was sitting at the edge of the bed, with his eyes on the pizza delivery boy. He looked strangely... concerned. I walked over and sat next to him on the bed.

“I don’t exactly hate you, it’s just that your attitude, you know, kinda pisses me off sometimes.”

“Oh. Well, you can’t blame me for that.” He scooted closer and looked at me. “I’m not always this way. You know me better, we used to be best friends. What happened?”

My heart stopped. He had echoed my thought. What HAD happened, I asked myself. Who changed? Was it him, or me? Who had got an attitude makeover? Had I got new friends, and moved away from my first best friend? Had he gotten too many girlfriends, and forgot about the one single person that cared for him?

A slight stir and a moan broke my train of thought. I shot a guilty look at Hal and turned the other way, facing the poor boy. Hal got up and went to sit on the other side of the bed. I moved closer to the boy’s shoulder and tapped him on the shoulder to see if he was awake.

“Hey there, how’re you feeling now? Better?” I asked him.

His eyelids fluttered open and he looked at me, his eyes filled with gratitude. “Hey. Thanks.” He croaked. It looked like he was making a huge effort by just breathing and talking, so I decided to leave him alone for a while. I decided to go down and get him some water, I could not sit in such an awkward silence.

I got up and cleared my throat. “So I’m gonna go down and get him some water, and help myself to a couple slices of pizza, so…” I let my sentence trail without a finish.

“Yeah just get me a beer, and a few slices of pizza would do. I’ve lost my appetite, anyway”

I nodded and went down the stairs only to be greeted by the sight of Dan making out furiously with Camryn. I mock-coughed, which obviously did not have any effect on them, so I shrugged and continued to the kitchen, grabbed a couple of chilled beers and a bottle of water, placed them on top of the pizza box and went back upstairs. 

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yipppeeee, Chapter 4 is here *drumrolls*

Sorry for the extremely long wait, I was caught up with college work =.=

READ, VOTE and COMMENT! (:

Enjoy! (: