Lucky

"Just this way," said Clara directing you toward the science room.
  You scratched the back of your neck, feeling a little guilty. "Sorry 'bout this. Er, I know you've got a class to be teaching right now."
  "No, it's fine," she said somewhat distractedly. "Here it is." She held the door for you, letting you walk in.
  "Have fun," she said teasingly as you stepped through the doors, and into the room of expectant middle-schoolers.
  You took your place at the front of the class, not noticing as the English teacher took her leave. You cleared your throat.
  "Hello class," you said, confidence rising a little. You might not always have the best luck when interacting socially, but you knew you were good at speaking in front of people. "My name is Miss/Mister (l/n)." You smiled. "And welcome to your first science class of the year."

  *****

  You enjoyed your job as a teacher, having a real passion for science. It didn't take long for the students to warm up to you. Still, the job, however enjoyable, could take its toll. You sighed after a long day's work, walking out of the school, and over to home.
  You passed several picturesque houses along your route. You quite liked the neighborhood you were living in, even though you were fairly new to it. The people were quite nice and-
  Ooph. You'd bumped into someone.
  Damnit, again? you thought.
  You looked at the person you'd bumped into. She looked back at you.
  "Er, hi again," said Clara, walking home as well.
  It took you a moment to respond. "Hi," you said. Coming back to Earth, you attempted to begin another sentence. "Oh gosh. Sorry, again. I-"
  "No, no, no, stop apologizing," said Clara with a light smile. "It is quite cute, but still."
  You floundered for a bit, unable to get proper words out. "I, um. Thanks." You crossed your arms, reddening slightly.
  "You're new here, aren't you? I saw a moving van come in about two weeks ago. Was that you?"
  "Yes. Yeah, it probably was."
  "Would you like to come to my house for an obligatory welcome-to-the-neighborhood? We can talk about work, and I can tell you which neighbors to avoid." She gave you a grin.
  "That'd be fantastic, thanks." You returned her grin, hardly believing your luck.