Westerly Part of the Universe

"Oh my god," you muttered. "It's- It's bigger on the inside!" You spun around to face Clara and her friend. "Which of you owns this!? How do you even have this here!?" You spun back around without waiting for an answer, rushing toward what appeared to be a control panel of sorts. "What does it do? How do you work it?" you asked excitedly.
"Slow down," said Clara, grinning at your unusually excitable actions. She stepped over to you.
"Sorry, I'm just-" You grew quiet again, embarrassed at your outburst. "I get enthusiastic sometimes. Science-y things. Science teacher. You know."
"We all have our moments," she responded. Unbeknownst to you, she thought it was actually a little endearing in a way.
"It's called the TARDIS," said the Doctor proudly. "That stands for Time And Relative Dimension In Space. It's a time machine."
"Time machine?" you asked incredulously. You mentally stopped yourself from going any further. "Erm, continue."
He gestured pointed at a screen with Tommy on it. Already knowing that the boy was troubled, you grew concerned again, your previously happy disposition visibly dissipating. You noticed that his image on the screen was tinted red. That didn't seem like a very good sign.
"What does it mean? What's wrong with him?" you asked worriedly.
"There's nothing wrong with him, (f/n)," responded the Doctor. "But there is a very high likelihood that he isn't human."
"Not human?" you repeated, attempting to process all the information you'd been given. The strange machine had already surprised you, but now- aliens? "Hold on, is this an alien time machine?"
"Yeah," said Clara, attempting to sound casual about it.
"So an alien owns this thing?" Or used to own it, you thought. You shuddered at the notion that the original owner of the machine could now be dead. Although that was probably not the case, you were a person who tended to assume the worst.
"Yes, that'd be me. Hello," said Clara's friend.
"You're- you're an alien. So is your real name like, Spock or Yoda or something?"
"No," he frowned. "I'm just called the Doctor."
"Okay, so wait a moment," you said. "Wait." You turned to Clara. "Have you been going on trips with your alien doctor friend to other time periods on Saturdays all this time and not been inviting me?" you asked her, only half jokingly. You knew of her love for Jane Austen and the 1800s in general, you having a similar affinity. "Have you met Jane Austen yet?"
"Yes!" she exclaimed. "Oh my god, I have to tell you all about her. This one time-"
"Alright," interrupted the Doctor. "That's quite enough. Let's focus on the matter at hand here."
"Right," you muttered, attempting to ground your thoughts once again. "So um, what sort of alien is my student?"
"Well, I believe I've narrowed it down to a more westerly part of the universe-"
"A westerly part of the universe? What's that supposed to mean?" asked Clara.
"I-"
"The universe is endless. Saying that he's from a westerly part of the universe basically gives us an endless number of places that he could be from, doesn't it?"
"Now-"
"And anyway, there is technically no up or down in space, so cardinal directions are hardly a given."
The Doctor gave her a look that was partly annoyed and partly impressed - though it was mostly annoyed.
"So really, what you're saying is that you have no idea where Tommy's from. Am I right or am I right, teach?" she asked you.
"Yup, she's right," you said a little hesitantly, being slightly intimidated by the Doctor's eyebrows. "Please don't correct me on that, Doctor. I'm a science teacher."
He seemed about ready to say something, but decided not to. He muttered what you imagined was something quite rude about humans, before saying, "Okay then. If that's what you want to think, then that's what you want to think. But starting now, what say you to agreeing to find out about him ourselves?"
"I'm in," Clara responded almost immediately. You were a little surprised, but also intrigued. You hadn't yet known her to have an adventurous streak.
"Okay," you said. "I'm in too."