CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to @TattoosAndCoffee Thank you for all your thoughtful comments!

So, this is how they break up...

It's all in the past. The POV starts with Harry, switches to Louis and then back to Harry.

PAST

HARRY

Our home was a fragile fortress made of glass and steel, high among the treetops in the Hollywood Hills, gleaming like a jewel. We had a sweeping view of Downtown Los Angeles, Catalina, and the California coastline. The secluded estate was our sanctuary--we could look out but no one could look in.

The house felt empty without Louis in it. He was with Edwin and Eleanor celebrating her 21st birthday at Bar Marmont. I wanted to go too but management thought it would be too tricky to get me in and out unseen. I moped around the house instead, slept for a bit and checked Twitter for news of any Louis sightings. I used my fan account: @slut4louis

A couple fans had taken selfies with him outside the bar. He was smiling brightly and giving the thumbs up. Like. Someone else tweeted a vine of Louis' best solos. Like. Another user tweeted a pic of him and Eleanor as they entered the bar arm-in-arm "Elounor is goals." I rolled my eyes. Unfollow. Then someone began tweeting pics from Louis' charity football match: running, kicking, stretching, sweating, taking off his jersey... Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Retweet. Retweet. Retweet. Retweet. Retweet.

At midnight I heard a click at the door. I scampered down the travertine steps and down the hall. It was Zayn. My heart sank. "Is Lou with you?" I asked searching behind him.

"Sorry love, he's still at the party." Zayn hung up his leather jacket.

"I thought he'd be back by now."

"So did he. But he has to stay until they cut the cake."

"Oh," I said gloomily, now sad and hungry for cake.

"Speaking of birthdays. Louis' birthday is coming up. Any plans?"

I padded into the living room and motioned for Zayn to follow. We sunk into the couch and put our feet up on the gilded coffee table.

"Yeah, a couple things actually," I pressed my lips together to keep from smiling.

"What are you up to?" he said suspiciously. He tossed the velvet throw pillows aside and handed me an Xbox controller.

"It's a surprise."

Zayn pulled out a cigarette then quickly put it behind his ear when he remembered he was hanging out with me and not Louis. We curled up on the couch and started playing Halo.

"You know that ski resort he took me to when we first started dating?"

"Yeah."

"I booked a chalet for a week."

"Cool."

I was being massacred in the game. I couldn't focus. "That's not all I'm getting him..."

Zayn flashed me a quick smile, laughing with his gentle brown eyes. "I don't need the details, mate."

"Not that! Well, yes, that. Lots of that. But also... I'm going to propose."

Zayn dropped the controller and stared at me. "What? Are you serious? You guys are so young!"