Chapter 1

Early Fall was such a beautiful time in beach city. Especially when it was just before evening and the sun was about to go down. The sun would shine through the leaves on the trees which were just beginning to change their color, they would make the streets beneath them light up all sorts of magnificent colors.

But Steven's favorite part had to be when the leafs would fall into the shallow waters of the ocean. Most would float back to shore with the waves, but the occasional few would drift off to sea. He wondered sometimes if all those years ago, Lapis and Jasper could see the leafs that floated away. He always meant to ask them, but would easily forget once he saw them again.

"Hey Steven?" Connie asked. They were both sitting on the beach, watching the waves go by. This had been one of the young couple's pass times, when they weren't fighting monsters.

"Yeah, Connie?" He responded. She smiled and closed her eyes.

"I like this." She started.

"Being with you its... amazing. It makes me want to stay like this, with you, forever." She sighed. Steven felt the love of his life's smile, her breath, her heartbeat, and the space around them as they were one.

"Connie..." He said building up the courage to ask her.

"Yes Steven?"

"Lets stay like this." he says. "Lets stay together."

Stevonnie felt a smile pull at her lips.

"I would really like that Steven..." Connie thought to him, the smile faded from Stevonnie's face as they defused.

"But you know why we can't do that." she says, holding his hands. The two were both 16 years old now. Though Connie's parents knew a lot about the gem missions she went on with Steven, they still haven't told them about Stevonnie and soon it would become more of a problem then it already was.

Steven made a disappointed face.

"I think we need to tell them soon. It's becoming harder to stay undone." he says. That much was true. Steven and Connie were fusing a lot more and each time they fused they would stay together longer then the last time. It was getting hard to be apart for to long, and they would often fuse by accident.

"What?! Steven you saw how bad my parents freaked out when they found out I was going on missions with you, they still need to know exactly what I did when we go fighting together. They'll think Stevonnie is totally inappropriate!" Connie said freaking out a bit.

Steven looked down and then back at her about to say something. Just then a car horn beeped and it was Mr. Maheswaran coming to pick her up.

"We'll talk more about it tomorrow. See you then at 4?" She asked. Steven smiled a little.

"Yeah, see you then." He says. She kissed his cheek and grabbed Rose's sword then headed to the car.

After she had left, Steven went back to the temple, thinking about a lot of stuff on the walk back. When he got there, Garnet was chilling on the couch.

"Howdy, bang!" She said and made a shooting motion with her hand.

"Oh, Hey garnet..." He said.

"Whats wrong Steven?" She asked, sensing his distress. He sighed and sat down next to her.

"Can... I ask you something?" He asked.

"About?" She crossed her legs and looked over to the young man. He twiddled his thumbs and looked down until he found a way to speak what he wanted.

"When did Sapphire and Ruby decide they wanted stay you?", Garnet was a bit surprised.

"Where is this coming from, Steven?", Steven let out another sigh.

"Well... me and Connie have been fusing a lot and each time we fuse we stay together longer then the last time." He starts. Garnet stays straight faced.

"Also its getting a lot harder to stay apart. And I know we're only supposed to fuse in emergency's, but when we're together its almost like we should never be apart. Then when we're apart we feel like we're missing a piece of ourselves. And also we sometimes accidently fuse. Like if we are holding hands, or say something at the same time, and sometimes when we laugh it happens." He says going a mile a minute.

Garnet fixed her glasses.

"I see..." she said after a bit of silence. She looked over at Steven with a big smile.

"This is fantastic!" she says. He was confused a bit.

"Steven, over 5 thousand years ago Ruby and Sapphire had that problem, but it was a lot more dangerous for them." she began.

"Back on homeworld as you know, it wasn't accepted to be a fusion unless you were fighting. Ruby and Sapphire often had to be fused in secret, in places were no one could see them. It was awful. Every time they were apart they felt incomplete and lonely. But while fighting alongside your mother, they didn't have to be apart. On earth, they were aloud to be free and exist as, well, me." She said softly. She took Steven's hand and took off her glasses so she was looking at him face to face.

"Steven, you are so incredibly lucky to live on earth were if you two decided to, you and Connie could be fused forever."

"What do you mean Garnet?" Steven asked. Garnet put on her glasses and sighed.

"I mean you and your girl can be together all you like.", She stands up and pats Steven's hair.

"Now, I think the big donuts is still open if a certain someone wants to go get a Boston cream and chocolate glaazed~..."

Steven giggles as his guardian scuffled his hair.

"You know me so well!" he exclaimed.