Chapter 8

Stevonnie was especially quiet in the car ride to the temple. Greg played with the steering wheel a bit.

"So... how was your first day?" he asked, hoping to draw some excitement from them. Greg had known about them wanting to stay fused for a while now, maybe even longer then the gems did.

Stevonnie made more and more of a presence in his life after the first time they fused in front of him. In the past year actually (before Connie had told her parents) it was a rare occurrence to only see one of them. He didn't really mind though. He liked having Stevonnie around because anything that made Steven happy he would be supportive of. 

"Oh?" they said slipping out of it. They sighed.

"It went alright I suppose. I was really happy to be together all day, but the kids were kind of-"

"Gross, Annoying, Mean?" he asked cutting them off and looking over at her with an eyebrow raised. Stevonnie laughed.

"I was going to say strange, but yeah," they said then went a bit quiet again.

"Quite a few people found my locker though.", they looked over at their bag that was sitting next to Lion.

"Uh oh... did they vandalize it?" he asked worriedly. Stevonnie pressed their lips into a tight line and furrowed their eyebrows a little.

After lunch, they had gone back to their locker to grab something, but the front of it was plastered with little cards and hearts on it. Each of them confessing their love to them or demanding dates/giving numbers. When they opened the locker even more notes, drawings and gifts fell out. They didn't want to be rude and hurt anyone's feelings so they just put the gifts in their bag and took them home with them.

"Not exactly..."

"If you want, me and the Maheswarans can talk-", Stevonnie shook their head furiously.

"No no no no! This is the longest we've stayed together in public! I can't risk losing that!" They said, slipping up a little. They wrapped their arms around themselves, almost like if they held onto themselves tight enough they wouldn't split up. Greg smiled and placed a hand on their head, ruffling Stevonnie's hair up a bit.

"It's alright, don't worry. I won't bring it up again."

"I don't understand why they don't just burn em all themselves," Amethyst said as she ate a box of chocolates that Stevonnie had gotten from some love-struck student. She stuffed the rest of the cardboard box in her mouth and tosses an armful of the papers in the pit of lava.

"That's what you would'a done."

Stevonnie had asked the both of them to get rid of the notes after they read them, most of them made the fusion uncomfortable but they knew that these were words straight from peoples hearts. It didn't feel right not reading them all.

Garnet came up behind her as she carried the rest of the tokens of affection. She starts dumping them in.

"Stevonnie isn't like me, though. They aren't like any fusion.", she looked down at the final bouquet of flowers then tossed them in.

"Have they started their training yet?" Ame asked, looking up at her. Garnet crossed her arms.

"Not yet, but they will. Right now they just need to get a feel of how its like to be a permanent fusion. After that, we'll work on how not to come undone under pressure.", Amethyst sighs and looks back down at the burning pile of papers.

"But how do you know this isn't a phase?" she asks. Garnet clenched her fist and crossed her arms tight. She changed her position a bit. She watched as the last heart-shaped card caught flame and combusted.

"I just know."