Chapter 15

A soft white light engulfed the fusion and their friend as they embraced, until it became unclear where Stevonnie ended and Mari began. They were a comfortable white haze as their two eyes slowly opened as four.
"What is this... what happened?" a strange and new voice asked. Their eyes looking around their surroundings in confusion. Around them was broken glass, mirrors, and the remains of sculptures.

"The temple..." they remembered out loud. Their brows furrowed though as they began to get panicked.  "But where is-

Stevonnie/Mari?' , from inside this strange and new person, two new yet familiar voices were heard, speaking at the same time. A hand was brought up to touch a face. The fact that the hand was coming from a third limp, wasn't nearly that surprising. In that moment the fusion didn't even recognize the change in them, as if the arm had been there all along. From the corner of their second right eye they say something. A figure in a mirror that had not been their before. They turned their head to look and what they saw took their breath away. Sitting no less than two feet away was something, or someone, entirely new. Someone with curly brown hair that cascaded into blonde pink ombre, and four brown eyes wide with shock.

"Is that...us?"

us?"

Upon seeing themselves, shock took over the new fusions body. White light quickly engulfed them, and they were split. Mari and Stevonnie sitting in the place of the fusion.

"W-What was that?!" Mari asked as she scrambled to find her glasses.

"We... fused?" Stevonnie said as they rubbed their head, equally as confused.

'We fused with... Mari?' Connie asked from inside of their bond.

'I..I didn't know we could fuse with someone else!', Stevonnie was floored as both Steven and Connie were faced with this new information. I mean, Steven knew he could fuse with multiple gems. That was made apparent when he fused to form Obsidian, but fusing with another human as Stevonnie... It seemed obvious sure, but the thought had never even come to them before. And why would it! They never needed to fuse with anyone else, or wanted to for that matter. This just opened an entire new door for the fusion and their relationship. If Stevonnie could fuse with other humans does that mean they could fuse with gems too? Where does the link end, does it end...?

"Hey... you okay Stevonnie?" Mari asked as she looked over at her friend who gave her no answer. Stevonnie's eyes were wide as they were deep in thought. Her two counterparts were going back and forth trying to digest what just happened, but from what Mari saw she thought the fusion was mortified.

"I-I'm sorry!" Mari said as tears welded in her eyes. Stevonnie blinked back to reality once they heard Mari's cry.

"What?" Stevonnie asked, furrowing their brow. Mari's glasses fogged as tears began to fall from her eyes and drip down her face.She could feel it when the were together. How happy the two were and how much they loved each other. They were a secure and beautiful relationship, built on mutual love and trust. Mari had no right to interject herself into what they had.

"Mari, why are you crying?" Stevonnie asked as they sat up straight. They reached their arm out for their friend only to have Mari pull away. The girl scrambled to her feet and took a step away from the fusion.

"You were right, I shouldn't have come! I'll just...", Mari continued to cry as they looked at down at their friend, if she could even call them that anymore. She covered  her face then started to run away from them, away from Stevonnie.

"Mari wait!" Stevonnie yelled. The fusion grabbed their sword and quickly ran after their friend.

*****

AN: Ayo it's me, your problematic fav. I'm sorry for the two year long hiatus, life sometimes be like that. I've thought about coming back for a while but honestly I hit a road block with this fic a while ago and instead of you know, working on it, I procrastinated writing until I completely forgot this fic existed. I still sorta don't know where I'm going with this fic but I decided it would be fun to use this as a writing experiment and see where it goes. And I'm always open to suggestions. Tell me what you want to see from this story, how you want the characters to progress. Maybe I'll take the idea and role with it, who knows? Definitely not me.

So I'll be posting more frequently, for this fic and my other SU fic Someone Like Me. If you like the artwork that was posted above you can fallow me on artisreallyhard on tumblr where I post all of my artwork and do commissions. Until then -Jay