Chapter 12

12

After school that day, Maddie sat in Bree’s bedroom, amazed at how making just one new friend could totally change a person’s perspective on life.  This morning, Maddie had been so unhappy, she hadn’t even wanted to get out of bed, and now, she couldn’t remember the last time she’d had such a fun time after school.  First the two girls had showed each other their favorite cat videos on YouTube, then they’d had a rousing discussion over which member of One Direction was their favorite (Maddie favored Harry while Bree preferred Niall), and then Bree had served them both ice cold Diet Cokes.  She’d poured them in her parents’ fancy wine goblets and even stuck little lemon wedges on the rim.  But now, the sun was starting to go down and it was time to put Bree’s plan into action.

Maddie peered over her new friend’s shoulder as she tapped away at some computer keys.  “Are you sure it looks believable?” she asked uncertainly. 

Bree nodded smoothly.  “Don’t worry about a thing.  My dad’s a lawyer.  I know how to make things sound professional.” 

Maddie carefully read through the email Bree was working on.

Dear Ms. Sterling, 

I’ve had a chance to think about what happened in your office the other day.  I want you to know that I’ve changed my mind about letting Maddie participate in the Victoria’s Secret campaign.  I hope your offer is still available!  I know I seemed concerned when we last spoke, but after talking about it with my husband, we’ve decided that having Maddie model for your company would be a great opportunity. 

Please email or fax any contracts to me so that I can sign them and get them back to you.  Thank you so much!  Maddie and I are both very excited. 

Sincerely,

Mrs. Fox. 

Maddie looked up from the screen and groaned.  “Ugh, it’s sooo obvious we wrote it!  Ann’s never going to believe it!”

“Yes she will!” Bree declared confidently.

“We even said to email over any contracts so we wouldn’t have to go in person!  Ann is totally going to know it’s me!”

 “No, it makes sense,” Bree argued.  “I mean, your mom is busy, so maybe she doesn’t have time to drive all that way back to Ann’s office.  You did say it was far away,” she rationalized.

Maddie bit her lip.  “Whether this works or not, I am going to get in so much trouble.”

Bree twisted around to face Maddie.  “Come on, which one is worse- your mom getting a little upset with you temporarily, or having to live the rest of your life knowing you were this close to becoming a Victoria’s Secret model?”

Maddie sighed heavily and leaned over to read the email again.  She reviewed the message at least three times before telling Bree, “Let’s just do it before I change my mind.”

Maddie held her breath as she watched Bree hover the pointer clicker over the “send” button. 

Time seemed to slow down and move in tiny milliseconds as Bree’s finger clicked the button and the words “Your email has sent” appeared across the screen.

The deed was done.  I can’t believe we did that!  There’s no taking it back now!  As soon as Bree clicked “send,” Maddie jumped up and started hopping up and down on one foot, then the other.  It was a little thing she did when she was nervous, to release some of the tension and distract herself.

Maddie felt extremely anxious.  And for all her talk about how everything would turn out fine, Bree looked edgy too.  Bree looked at Maddie and started hopping up and down as well.