Chapter 27

First of all, sorry to all the girls who have been patiently waiting for this chapter!  I know I took my time writing it!  Chapter 28 will be updated September 13.  :)

27

The next morning, Maddie trudged into the studio at 6:30am, her mom and Cassidy wandering sleepily behind.

Maddie was sent straight to hair and makeup, where she nearly dozed off in her chair as a team of professionals worked tirelessly for the next several hours.  Several different foundation colors were blended with the precision of a master artist and painstakingly applied to Maddie’s face to give the illusion of flawless skin.  Her nails were buffed and filed and manicured to utter perfection.  Fake lashes were carefully glued onto the tips of her lashes one at a time with tweezers.  Gradually, her appearance transformed into the glamorous supermodel whose beaming face graced all of Victoria’s Secret’s store windows, shopping bags, billboards, and magazine advertisements.

The entire process made her look undeniably amazing, but man did it take forever!  The entire commercial is going to be, what, thirty seconds long?  And a full day of work goes into it! 

Production was suffering one delay after another and they were now a couple hours behind schedule.  It was making everyone pretty grumpy and tense. 

First, one of the hair stylists accidentally burned her ear with the curling iron.  "Ow!" Maddie shrieked, yanking her sizzling flesh away from the hot metal rod.  The hairstylist then scolded her for fidgeting around too much while she was working ("Thees eez vhy I burn you!  You moving too much!” the woman complained in a thick Russian accent!) 

Well I've been sitting in this chair for over three hours, she thought, annoyed.  I bet I could have flown to Mexico by now! 

Maddie should have been wildly excited for her first commercial, but her mind was preoccupied with thoughts of Evan.  She kept her cell phone clasped between her palms the whole time she was on the makeup chair, unable to resist checking it every other minute.

Evan still hadn't texted her, called her, emailed her, nothing!  Maddie was pretty sure that website had just blown whatever chances she had with him.  He totally believed what it said about me, she thought sullenly. Does he really think I was just using him to try to get more famous?  I didn't ASK him to take me to that party! 

Boys were funny.  Why was it that once you started liking one, they immediately stopped liking you back?  And once they stopped liking you, they were virtually all you could think about.  Boys are such a mystery.  I hope one day we’ll be able to understand what they’re thinking and why they do the things they do. 

She was extremely tempted to just pick up the phone and call him but she forced herself to resist.  Stop it Maddie!  You don’t want to look desperate!  He’s going to think you’re stalking him or something!

Finally, Maddie’s transformation was complete, and she limped down to the set, both legs having fallen asleep in the makeup chair. 

Maddie had never been on a commercial shoot before.  It was quite similar to a photoshoot- the equipment, hot lights, all the people walking around.  But instead of just a photographer with one camera, there was a director and several cameras.  Maddie felt much more comfortable in front of the camera than when she had first started modeling a few months ago. This particular commercial involved more posing than actual acting, but she did have to follow some directions, like laughing on command.

The commercial would have different shots of Maddie dressed in loungewear and hanging out in a teenage girl’s bedroom.  In one shot, she lay on her stomach on a bed with her feet in the air, talking on an old fashioned telephone with a long, curly cord.  In another shot, Maddie had to sit at a dressing table and draw a heart on a mirror using pink lipstick.