Chapter 23

23

Maddie shivered in the chilly night air as she paced back and forth on the Blake family’s front porch, waiting to get picked up.  She felt restless and agitated as she replayed the events of the evening over and over again in her mind. 

Did I do the right thing, not letting him kiss me? she wondered.  He was such a sleazy jerk!  But I need to just get it over with already, she scolded herself.  I’m pretty much the last girl in my grade to have never been kissed.  Even Bree has kissed a boy before- she had a boyfriend in eighth grade, she told me!  And I’m sure Sundance has been asked out by at least seven guys this year alone, Maddie thought dismally.  I’m sixteen and I’ve never been kissed, how pathetic!

At last, after what felt like hours, but was probably only a few minutes, a blue Ford Mustang pulled up in front of the house.

            Maddie opened the door and hopped in the front seat.  “Thanks for picking me up,” she said gratefully.  “You’re a lifesaver!”

            “No problem,” Evan answered easily, frowning as he caught sight of Maddie’s tear streaked face.  “What happened?” he asked grimly, putting the car in reverse and backing out of the driveway.

            Maddie sighed.  “It’s been a long night,” she answered evasively.  She had been a little reluctant to text Evan to come pick her up, but he had been so nice to her earlier, she figured she might as well take the chance.  And here he was!

“Um, why are you dressed like that?”  It was kind of dark outside so it had taken her a second to realize that Evan was all dressed up in an elegant dark tailored suit and white button down shirt.  He looked fancy, with cufflinks and a tie and everything.  “Where were you going?” she inquired curiously. 

“Oh, nowhere!  Just… some thing,” Evan quickly brushed off the question. “So, what happened to you tonight?” he asked her again.

Maddie stayed silent. 

“You can tell me what happened,” he said gently.  “Did you get into a fight with one of your friends?”

Maddie shook her head.  “No.”  Why don’t I just tell him?  “So…. I was babysitting, and the kid’s older brother goes to school with me and he was there.  And he invited me into his room and I thought he just wanted to watch TV but…” Maddie shuddered as her voice trailed off.

Evan tensed up.  “Did he put his hands on you?” he asked quietly.

 “He tried to.”

“He did what?” Evan yelled furiously.  Maddie stole a glance at his dark, murderous expression.  “I could kill that guy!  I seriously want to turn the car around right now and go punch that douchebag in the face!”

“No, no, it’s okay, I yelled at him and told him off.” Maddie hastily explained, feeling worse as she relived the moment. 

“What an asshole!” Evan exclaimed angrily.

“That’s what I called him!” Maddie chimed in.  “I just had to get out of there, you know?”

“Well, it’s a good thing you texted me!  Maddie, you need to be more careful about who you hang out with!” Evan admonished her.

“I know,” she sighed.

Evan struggled to find the words to express himself.  “You are… very attractive.  Guys are gonna try to hook up with you any chance they can get!”