Chapter 19

19

The next morning, Maddie was gradually awoken by rays of sunshine flashing through the slits of her window blinds.  The alternating ribbons of light and shadow on her walls vaguely reminded her of bars in a jail cell.  She didn’t have to get up early today- it was the weekend.  Maddie snuggled deeper into the warm cocoon of her cozy blanket.  She could hear Honeydew purring in a little ball at her feet.  She did not want to get up and face what she already knew was going to be a horrible day. 

After she’d gotten home from the party last night, she’d stayed up late to go online and google herself.  Ann had predicted that Maddie’s pictures would already be up on the blogs, and unfortunately, she had been dead right. 

Maddie had been stunned and dismayed to see that the photos of her and Sundance locking lips had already made their way round the internet.  The worst part was probably not the pictures themselves but the comments people wrote below them.  She scanned through hundreds of anonymous comments labeling the sixteen-year-old model trashy, slutty, and every bad thing in between. One person had even used the phrase “every parent’s worst nightmare.”  The comments stung, but oddly, Maddie felt quite detached as she was reading them.  She felt like they were written about a completely different person and therefore wasn’t especially bothered by them.  I mean, how can a girl be a slut if she’s never even kissed a guy before?

There seemed to be a lot of interest in “Maddie’s best friend Sundance” as well.  Sundance’s number of twitter followers had multiplied exponentially within hours.  It also seemed as though someone (as if we all couldn’t guess who) had started a facebook fanpage dedicated to Sundance, “the multi-talented performer/entertainer.” 

Maddie snuggled deeper into bed and tried to drift back off to sleep.  I’m so tired.

Maddie’s mom pounded on her door.  “Mad, get out here!”

What is she bothering me for?  I don’t have to get up for school! she thought, irritated.  “Whyyyyy?” she called in the grumpiest vice she could muster.

 “Maddie, get out here now!” her mom demanded. 

Maddie scowled.  What does she want?  For goodness sake, can’t everyone just leave me alone and let me sleep?

Maddie’s mom knocked on her door again.  “Maddie!  Get up!  Come to the kitchen!”

With a yawn and a stretch, Maddie wriggled out of the covers.  If I don’t get up, she’ll just keep bothering me!  she thought bitterly.  I can’t wait ‘til I’m in college!

Maddie plodded down the hall, not bothering to put slippers on.  You know how sometimes you just wake up and you can instantly feel in your bones that the day is gonna suck?  This was one of those days.

Ann is mad at me- again.  I messed up at the launch party.  The internet thinks I’m a skank.  And Bree and I still aren’t friends.

When Maddie got to the kitchen, all the negative thoughts cluttering her brain flew away as her eyes focused on a very large flat rectangular box taking up most of the kitchen table.  There was a big red bow tied around it. 

She stared at the package in surprise.  “Hey, what’s that?”

Her mom shrugged and took a sip from her mug of coffee.  “I have no idea.  I saw it on the doorstep when I got up this morning.  There’s a tag on it that says it’s for you.”

Huh?  Maddie eyed the package in confusion. It’s too early in the morning for this.

“Who’s it from?” she asked her mom.