Chapter 29

Warning: this contains violent scenes that some people will probably find disturbing. DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE GORY STUFF.

Chapter 29-Amias' POV

The first thing I noticed was the wall of flames blocking off one of the caves so I assumed my pack had obeyed my orders of capturing one.

                The next thing that caught my attention was the smell of death that lingered in the air. It was subtle and mingled with the scent of mud and flowers, but it was there all the same. I breathed through my mouth instead as my stomach rolled.

                “Azula, you’re back!” Ash exclaimed, rushing over to us with a happy grin when we appeared at the edge of the clearing. His eyes were darker than they normally were, I noted, but other than that, he seemed his normal, carefree self.

                He came to a halt in front of us, looking for all the world like he was going hug Azula, stopping only when I growled lowly at him. His steps faltered, as did his smile, before he regained his composure, instead halting in front of us. Azula sent me a look from under her eyelashes that I ignored.

                “I was so worried about you,” Ash continued, running a hand through his hair.

                “Yeah, well. I’m fine,” Azula said, shifting uncomfortably. “Thanks,” she added.

                Ash nodded. “I’m just glad you’re okay. I’d hate to see what old Alpha Phelps would’ve been like if you weren’t.” He threw me a sly look. Awkward silence reined for a few moments.

                “Ah, Alpha, you’re back!” Dobry called, drawing all our eyes. Ash bowed in respect before sauntering off.

Azula and I walked hand in hand to Dobry, where he was nursing Luk and Kade. Both boys were lying on deer-skin rugs, as pale as death. Their eyes were closed, their breathing laboured. The stench of sweat and blood assaulted my nose and I couldn’t help but wince. Adam was holding Kade’s hand and muttering under his breath, his head bowed in grief.

“Dobry,” I acknowledged, inclining my head. “How are they?” Dobry’s expression turned grave, the light in his green eyes dimmed. He looked down at the two boys, shaking his head slowly.

“Not good. I wish that there was more I could do for them but even I can’t fight aconitum.” Adam flinched at his words, his amber eyes haunted as he raised his agonised gaze to mine. I wasn’t offended in the slightest as his eyes met mine.

“Make them pay,” he murmured, his body shaking. It took me a moment to spot his eyes glittering with tears.

“Brother, I swear to you, they will not get away with this,” I vowed. I held out a hand to Adam, which he stared at for a moment before finally clasping.

“Dobry, do everything in your power to make their last moments as comfortable as possible,” I ordered. Dobry bowed his head to me, turning back to the two and muttering an incantation under his breath.