Chapter 5

Nerves were building up rapidly inside my stomach; it still hadn’t sunk in that Frodo, the most amazing hobbit in the world, was walking with me in the forest, alone. We chatted for a while as we slowly made our way to my house, I was enjoying it so much, I didn’t want it to ever end. He laughed when I told him about how I paid Merry and Pippin back for the tomato incident, he had the cutest laugh, I loved the way his eyes would glow and how his nose crinkled turned up when he smiled. Eventually we made it to the edge of the forest path; my house was just over a small hill. Frodo stopped and grasped both of my hands, I melted at his touch, when he spoke he looked straight into my eyes which sent shivers down my spine.

“I’ll meet you at the foot of Huckleberry Hill at the edge of the forest, I’ve got to get a few things from home,” he said, “I’ll leave you here.” I nodded, Frodo’s neck twitched forward, he looked as if he was about to do something, but he hesitated, changing his mind and withdrew. He let go of my hands, I smiled up at him and waved.

“See you in a minute,” I replied, turning and running up the path to my house. When I reached the top of the hill I looked down to see Frodo turning and walking along the road to Bag End. I smiled widely to myself and skipped back into my garden, leaping over the front gate and disappearing into the front door.

As soon as I entered the kitchen, I found Mother standing in the centre of the room, her arms crossed over her chest, her face filled with anger, her expression quickly changed to shock.

“WHAT have you been DOING?!” she exclaimed staring at the state of me, “have you been rolling around in a mud heap in your night dress?!”

“Mum I-”

“I get up this morning, and I find both beds empty, not a sign or clue to say where you had gone!” continued Mother, “I thought I have explained to you time and time again, tell me where you are going before you leave! I wouldn’t have expected Pippin to, but from you I thought you’d be more responsible Lily!”

“Mum, I’m sorry I didn’t know I’d be so long-” I replied nervously, but Mother wasn’t finished.

“And look at yourself; you’ve ruined your dress! I want you to march up to the bathroom now and get yourself cleaned up, then put on some overalls; it doesn’t matter if you get those dirty!”

I turned and walked quickly into the bathroom before mother could find something else to shout about. I filled the bath full with hot water and bubbles and had a lovely wash, making sure I was perfectly clean for my meeting with Frodo. I realized I hadn’t yet met Frodo without something down the front of my dress; I wanted this time to work out perfectly. Once I had finished with my bath I dried myself and put on a pair of navy overalls with a light orange checked shirt. I combed my curly blonde hair back and tied it back with a blue ribbon, finally deciding my reflection looked good enough, I left the room and headed out the front door.

***

The forest was alive with animals and birds enjoying the warm weather of spring; I realized that day couldn’t have been any more perfect. I was meeting the boy of my dreams and felt as if nothing could possibly go wrong, it was a wonderful feeling.  I watched as two small birds flew above my head, imagining that they were Frodo and I together at last. I smiled to myself, thinking about how Frodo had held my hands and how he seemed to have almost kissed me.

I reached the edge of the forest and found Frodo sitting cross legged, leaning on the base of a tree with a basket next to him.

“Hey Frodo,” I said, he turned to face me, staring with an expression of awe, “sorry I took so long, I had to take a bath.”

“No, that’s OK, I only just arrived here myself,” he replied, standing up. I smiled at him.

“So- where are we going Frodo?” I asked as my head swirled, I began to feel dizzy.

“There’s somewhere I’d like to take you Lily,” he whispered, “somewhere private, where we can be alone.” Something in the way he said that made my stomach drop, I began to breathe heavily, I noticed Frodo had developed the same pink flush that crept over his face. He offered his hand which I nervously took and he led me deeper into the forest, carrying the basket with him.

I followed Frodo deeper and deeper into the forest, I did not recognise the area he led me through, I realized I hadn’t been there before. I had a feeling only Frodo was familiar with where we were going and knew we weren’t going to be disturbed. The whole journey my mind was racing with a thousand thoughts about Frodo and what he could possibly be thinking about me.

Eventually we made it to a clearing, although it was the most beautiful part of the forest I had ever seen in my life. It was surrounded by berry shrubs and magnificent different types of fungi, the most beautiful flowers I had ever seen smothered the area with colour, purples, pinks, deep reds, yellows, blues and oranges burst from every available space. A small stream ran along the edge of the clearing, it was a truly a breath-taking sight.  I gasped in wonder at the gorgeous place that Frodo had taken me, he smiled when he seen the expression on my face.

“Do you like it?” asked Frodo, “I come here quite often to read or to just get away from everybody else. I’m quite sure I’m the only one who knows about this place, it’s very special to me.”

“Why did you show me then?” I asked, Frodo looked into my eyes shyly. He didn’t answer, he just smiled, I smiled back. Frodo led me to a comfortable patch of moss and sat me and the basket down. He turned behind him, he pulled out the most beautiful flower I had ever seen, its petals were a deep magenta and shaped as hearts. Frodo passed it to me, his face growing even pinker than ever, I took the flower with a racing heart and began breathing deeply again.

“Oh thank you Frodo, you’re such a gentleman,” I whispered, I could feel my face growing hot as Frodo sat down next to me, “it’s beautiful”. He smiled as he leaned in closer, I could tell he was as shy as I was. I moved in nearer as well, our noses were almost touching; my heart was beating so hard I was surprised it hadn’t burst out of my chest. His gorgeous blue eyes were staring directly into mine; I could feel his warm breath on my neck which created goose bumps down my back.

“Lily, I-I want to say-” stuttered Frodo, it seemed as if he could not finish his sentence, but I really wanted him to.

“Frodo, this place you’ve taken me to, it’s the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen,” I whispered, I finally dropped my gaze from Frodo’s eyes, he wasn’t going to say it, we got this far and he still couldn’t say it. Suddenly I felt his soft hand on my cheek as he lifted my chin up, so we were once again looking into each-other’s eyes. His other hand came around my waist, I felt like I could have screamed, this was the moment; he was finally going to do it! I wrapped my arm around his neck, running my fingers through his curls; I felt the goose bumps form on his neck as he held me closer. I closed my eyes and moved my lips closer to his; this was it, this was what I had been waiting for; he was going to kiss me!