Chapter 15

Chillness crept into every crack in the floor, stabs of the icy air made it hard to breathe and the cold night breeze wrapped everything into a wintery embrace. It was dark outside and the endless amount of stars twinkled in the night sky, the rain had cleared up completely from earlier that day, not a creature stirred that evening. Winter was fast approaching, the animals were preparing for the cold days that were still to come, and the nights were as silent as ever. The wind was cruel during the nights, but those who spent the days outdoors were trying to enjoy the last of the sun's warmth for the next few months. The hobbits of the Shire were stocking up their pantries and cellars; this winter was going to be as disheartening as ever. Household fires were burning all day now and the wood sheds were beginning to be restocked; the young hobbit-lads were sent out into the forest by their mothers to collect as much firewood as they could carry. Everyone had been chilled to the bone, nothing could warm up the winter cold, not the warmest fire or the cosiest bed; once you had caught it, there it would remain until spring. Although everyone began to feel a little dispirited, I had become happier and happier each day I saw Frodo.

I sat on my bed, thinking about all that had happened that day; I had been concentrating solely upon that topic all afternoon that I did not notice the cold, biting wind that whistled through the cracks in the window panes. I still found it hard to believe that Frodo had finally plucked up the courage to kiss me; I thought I would never love him again, but now I realized that was not true. Frodo was the only one for me and it took me forever to realize that. I desperately wanted to explain to him that I loved him too. I needed to tell him as soon as I had the chance; I knew that he still thought that I didn't love him; I thought that I didn't until now.

I smiled to myself as I played through the events that had happened that day, reliving the intimate moment between Frodo and I. I felt such a fool for not telling him how really I felt; I knew he was extremely embarrassed about the whole affair. Instead of comforting him; I stupidly made a remark about how late it was getting and left him to feel extremely humiliated.

I was staring fixedly at the floor as all this ran through my mind and didn't break out of my trance until I heard someone approaching the door. I quickly looked up and sat a little straighter in my bed as the door burst open, revealing my brothers grinning face in the doorway. I smiled happily back, desperately attempting to hide anything to do with the day's past events that may show on my face. Pippin strolled casually into my room, closing the door behind him and making his way over to my window with his hands in his pockets.

"Can I help you with something," I asked grinning, "or are you happy wandering aimlessly about my room in the middle of the night?" Pippin stared hypnotically out of the window and opened his mouth to say something.

"Nope, I'm fine thanks," he replied sarcastically. I giggled at this remark and swung myself around to face him properly, he slowly turned from the window and a large grin was plastered across his face. "No, I came to ask you something," he said as he took a few steps closer to me. "Are you free tomorrow?" I raised my eyebrows in interest at what he had to say.

"Yeah, 'course, why wouldn't I be?" I answered, "I'm usually mucking about with you anyway."

He grinned again; "Well, you could be spending time with a certain young master Frodo..." he said smugly. I suddenly felt butterflies fluttering about in my stomach, Pippin couldn't know could he? How could he have known about that? Had I given away too much in my facial expressions, or had I said something? I desperately tried to hide my shock and cleared my throat.